Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suicide Threads

GreekGoddess
    Okay, listen here bucky...DO NOT try and suicide this thread with your post about your Hotmail thread. I will NOT tolerate it. *stomps her foot* This has nothing at all to do with your Hotmail thread, I apologize for the animosity it has caused we are trying to add suggestions to change the suicide thread guidelines. If you have something valid to contribute to this thread, then do so, if not...then HUSH before the flamers get here and neg this post to death.

*gets out her squirt gun and defends the thread*

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    hmm posts 12, 13, 14, skips GG, 16, 17, 18, skips GG, are all neg and at the same point.. Prolly got GG earlier and can't give em to her again... another abuser I guess.. Seems like this is becomeing more and more of a problem. Perhaps there should be some features built in that if a person negs more than one or two people in the same thread it will stop counting them. Just a thought.
    x

GreekGoddess
    No, I'm getting negs, they just aren't counting, they're showing up as grey, and clicking on my assign button to my own post they're showing as red. Someone is obviously trying to kill this thread. I don't know why though, I would think if something was done about this it would be a good thing? Or am I not seeing the bad of changing it?

str34m3r
    JP wrote in a reply some time back (I can't seem to find it right now) that it is up to us as a community to fix problems that we see occuring. He wants the community as a whole to correct itself. So here's my solution until I hear otherwise from JP that this was not his intent. Whenever I see negs being throw around without cause (as happened earlier in this thread) I will do my best to move the post back towards even. If enough of us work to correct the problems we see, then we won't need to bother JP to fix a problem - we can fix it ourselves.

GreekGoddess
    hmmm - contact user about this assignment
    suicidal thread lol - contact user about this assignment
    : ) - contact user about this assignment
    No one ever explains......... - contact user about this assignment

These are the negatives I've gotten......guess someone thought it would be funny to post AP's without a reason, someone is obviously finding humor in this, as I obviously am not.

I believe to an extent that it's up to the community to fix the problems, but if it's something that's just going to abused for no reason whatsoever, I can't see why the creator of it wouldn't get involved and do something about it. AO users shouldn't have to go around balancing out points because some jackass felt malicious and dumped his negs into several posts on a thread (and that goes for Senior Members, Addicts, Members, Jr. Members, and Newbies that actually have greens to contribute). To my knowledge, from comments older AO members have made regarding APs, this was NOT why the system was implemented.

I think it's great that you will in the future keep a lookout for threads that are receiving unneccessary negatives, but this thread wasn't meant to be a plea for antipoints. I was hoping that it would actually CHANGE something. And I'm sorry if it seems ungrateful, since I HAVE received greenies, but it wasn't a rally for green APs and I want to make that clear, so there is NO doubt of why I created this thread.

I think also that if the community could fix things, a simple AP ethic FAQ would resolve a lot of issues that AO users are experiencing regarding AP. Where APs should be assigned, why they should be assigned...etc.. But I don't think even a FAQ would matter.

Hmm... or try always contacting the user about any weird assignments to either get back or get information. (Pick one.)

Personally I find the thread closing aspect more irksome than the "Ow my Antipoint Total is going down" factor. If I had an AP total that was always at zero, I probably wouldn't notice that much difference in my board experience

<shameless plug of own idea>I wonder how the gold dot thing would change this... </shameless plug of own idea>
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

mm posts 12, 13, 14, skips GG, 16, 17, 18, skips GG, are all neg and at the same point.. Prolly got GG earlier and can't give em to her again... another abuser I guess.. Seems like this is becomeing more and more of a problem. Perhaps there should be some features built in that if a person negs more than one or two people in the same thread it will stop counting them. Just a thought.
    that is a damn good idea

So here's my solution until I hear otherwise from JP that this was not his intent. Whenever I see negs being throw around without cause (as happened earlier in this thread) I will do my best to move the post back towards even. If enough of us work to correct the problems we see, then we won't need to bother JP to fix a problem - we can fix it ourselves.
    Also another good idea but not totally failsafe, if someone is determined to kill a thread, they can neg each person in the thread until the thread goes suicidal. I do agree that as a community we need to work towards stopping this abuse, but some system safeguards would compliment our efforts.
    Dream as if you are going to live forever, live as if you were going to die today.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Originally posted here by lawrence171
    My hotmail thread is not to ask how to hack Hotmail... You ppl's heart are so limited and you seem to sterotype alot here. You have been brain washed, all that you know is that Microsoft = Bad. You people don't even think for yourselves anymore... So, assign whatever point you like. You brainless people will never become leaders if all you think about Microsoft is that they suck, you should actually review and consider factors that had lead you to think that (although most of you just heard other people say so and believed it).
    I have no idea where your response came from, but here goes:

1: do you know how many threads have been started/closed in concern with hacking hotmail? Enough to make my eyes melt. And considering I'm not one of those people who said anything or ap'd you on your said thread, I don't appreciate being lumped into the same group as those (see your 'You ppl's heart are so limited and you seem to stereotype a lot here' comment).

2: No, I have not been brainwashed into all that I know is that MS = Bad. I'll tell you why MS sucks...because they don't create anything, they steal/reverse-engineer/buy out/bury other people's competitive product. Because they don't create anything with security or stability in mind. Because a majority of their products are completely ass-backwards when it comes to functionality with everything else out there that might be third-party. Because everyone's come to know the BSOD and they accept it because "that's the way it's always been" instead of saying "Damnit, this sucks, fix the damned product!". Because rebooting is for adding new hardware. Because Windows limits everything you can/can't do. If MS could make Windows 9x/etc to be half as stable as Office 2000/etc are, this wouldn't be THAT big of an issue. If MS didn't try to force IE into everyone's browser-of-choice and actually LET people choose, it'd be less of an issue (hence why they're in court again and again and again). If they made IE to actually WORK right instead of inherently cascade-crashing the system just because of some random bug you'll never know about occured to which it happens in an 'unknown' area. That alone tells me the programmers said 'I don't know where/what happened' and left it at that. That is SORRY ASS programming there. We get the picture I think....this is all my opinion by the way, and as far as I'm concerned, I'll never just accept MS for anything on an OS level until they prove they can actually compete instead of just buying out or using usual dirty tactics to get their product on the frontlines.

3: I do think for myself. That's why I decided to go into unix administration. That's why I'm posting here in defense for myself because of your lump-sum comments.

4: this post brought to you by Opera on Red Hat 7.3. Have a nice day.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Kwiep
    I totally agree with everything GG said.
    It also is (for instance) stupid to get negative antipoints for a rollcall thread. If it's going on like that this site's getting some anarchy like thing. I probably get a lot of neg's for this post. I want to assign some postive antipoints to this thread (GG) but i don't have enough myself to make it count really...

edit: allright this post wasnt really complete on all subjects and that wasnt my intention because i do not have to much time now. Why are U giving negative antipoints because of that?
    Double Dutch

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    It's been said countless times, nobody has to put anything in their antipoint assignment and GG, for your grey assignments you've gotten, that just means the person isn't high enough for their points to count against your total. On this same thread, I got a red point from some whore stating '**** off' but that's ok because it's their "entitlement" to have an opinion on my statements, even if they're completely misguided in their thoughts and a complete immature loser to boot.

And is it just me or am I the only one seeing that a lot of people are sucking up to the "girls" of AO? I've been reading so many "I agree completely with <insert name of female char here>"....what makes their posts any more different than others that contribute? It's not like they're the only ones saying useful things.

*watches the negative points roll in on this one, rofl*
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.