Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Computer

GreekGoddess

My Computer

I'm currently running a Compaq, Intel Celeron CPU with 1200 MHz, 256 MB RAM. I've had this computer for about a year now, but after a while, even with extensive maintenance,the quality of it's performance starts to suck until you can click on things from the desktop and they refuse to run, you get constant errors, whatever.

I constantly run AV software, have a personal firewall, they are configured properly, I don't think that's the problem. I do disk cleanups and defrags routinely, but after some time, things just don't want to work anymore. I try to limit the amount of data I store on the computer by saving as much little stuff as I can to floppy or CD. I thought it may have been too much embedded information in my computer, something like that, and downloaded Evidence Eliminator to clean any junk floating around in my computer. I've tweaked my startup resources so that there aren't too many things running, I don't know what the problem can be, but it eventually gets to the point where I have to completely restore the computer back to factory settings, and I'm getting tired of doing this just to have a computer that works. There has to be something that I'm doing wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure it out. It just gets extremely slow after a while, programs don't want to run...etc. Any ideas? If you need anymore information, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I also want to add that I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, if that makes any difference. And when I uninstall anything, I'm sure to use the add/delete programs and I go through and clean up any fragments left over manually if I have to, and the Evidence Eliminator worked great to rid my computer of any additional fragments, very old old deleted files, and other various junk. I'm getting worried, because it's about due to happen again, almost as if my computer is on some kind of timer to get slow again and I'll have to start all over. I've partitioned my harddrive and am also running the newest version of RH, sort of a learning thing as I learn to program and such. I'm afraid that everything will be lost. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

The Iceman Cometh
    You mention that you keep restoring back to factory defaults... in my experience, the "factory defaults" are absolutely terrible. I would recommend cleaning the computer and install everything you need from scratch. That way, you only have exactly what you need, rather than all of the crap that the restore disc installs. Many people I know use the restore disc and then manually remove programs they don't need, but they don't realize that many files and registry entries remain behind, taking up space and slowly compounding to cause a degradation of performance. If you want help and/or tips, you can PM me and I'd be more than happy to help you out. I routinely do that (every few months) for my main XP box and laptop, and maybe once every year or two for my NT, 2000 and Linux boxes (usually try to do them all within a week's time... that way, they are all up-to-date, with the most recent updates, etc. without misc. junk left behind from previous upgrades/updates). This, of course, is just my opinion, but after using a restore disc a few times on an old PacBell growing up, I decided to *never* go through that again.

AJ

Computers - are they suppose to behave I am no expert but sometimes installed software can conflict with each other causing problems - even though the distributors sale pitch will tell you otherwise. Hardware problems (not your fault) ??.

I had an old computer that became sluggish, opened the box to find it full of dust etc (lived in a very dusty area at the time)... quick clean out, getting air over the heat sink helped. I believe the newer chips can run very hot, more air across the box may help. Heat can be a killer so it might not be anything you have or have not done.

Very difficult to diagnose, maybe a local computer guru in the neighbourhood could help.

I have a custom built PIII 900 with 512ram running XP Pro (I am on now) running through a PII 266 with 394ram Mandrake Linux 8.2 box I use as a firewall/proxy server. I have found most of the problems I have with my computers are a result of PEBCAK ..... Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard ..... which is me ..... over tweaking and messing about in the pursuit of knowledge etc .... which is what I enjoy about computers.

Good luck.

GreekGoddess
    I would gladly not use the factory restore disk that came with my computer but the problem with the way Compaq sets this up is that my XP OS is contained on that disk PLUS all the other stuff, drivers, etc. I would install it seperately, but it doesn't give you that option at all...It's all or not at all. And I certainly don't have enough money to drop to buy a new OS or buy XP seperately (I do like XP, I am not all anti-MS) and I don't use the Linux all of the time, I don't feel I'm ready to make it my sole OS, it still stresses me out a lot and I like the ease of my XP.

I'm going to use the suggestion of opening up my HD and try cleaning the dust out, I'm sure there's probably quite a bit with my animals and such, see if that helps any. If the problem still persists, I am going to probably call the local computer shop here and see what they suggest. I just can't believe that it gives me these problems. I make sure to check for compatibility issues when I download things, and I have had some problems, especially with older programs and XP, but at the same time, I don't have a whole lot of additionally 'large' programs on my computer, mostly Jasc software and Macromedia programs...maybe that's it?

Thanks for the input.

(*LOL* I just read over Penguin's post again and caught the last comment he made, maybe it is something I'm doing. I try and use the built in guides whenever I change things, the startup wizard and such to change startup resources, try to keep it simple and stuff. I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to Windows, I'm very experienced with it's features, this is the first time I've run into the problem with any computer, this being my first time with XP, which took me a while to get used to, but I still feel I've gotten in down pretty damn good. The only thing I'm not running now that I used to in my previous restores is Kazaa, and I thought that might be part of it, it screws up my computer something horrible.)

hi

personally, i'm not happy with windows XP, and don't really know many people who are (please note this isn't an anti-windows thing, i'm pro-linux but i do use windows frequently - albeit mostly for games). my suggestion is to downgrade, perhaps win2000 or win98/me. or perhaps do a complete reinstall of XP? that seems to fix many weird problems windows (any version) has.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

The Iceman Cometh
    Your restore disk as the i386 directory on it, correct? With that, you will be able to automatically reinstall XP yourself. Use a DOS boot disk (such as a Windows 98 boot disk) and start the computer into MS-DOS mode with CD-ROM support. Format the hard drive. Then, go into the i386 directory on the recovery disk (just cd into it) and then type "winnt" without the quotes. That should do it for ya. During the installation, you will be given the option to convert the partition to NTFS if you wish. Hope that helps. One of my friends is having problems with a brand new Compaq laptop and their support is absolutely awful (that is, if I'm lucky enough to even get someone who can speak English). That's what I did for her laptop, but she's also having hardware issues (though Compaq swears they're software....) Good luck with it.

AJ

hi

this is just a note in relation to my previous post...

reinstalling from scratch is usually overkill. but then if you back up your data all the time, then you kinda get used to it, even up to the point that it gets to be habitual and you can format and reinstall windows in your sleep!

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

The Iceman Cometh
    Greekgoddess, I just reread your post, and noticed that you discussed cleaning out your HD... that's something you definitely *don't* want to do. Opening the CPU case is fine, blowing that out, vacuuming it out with a soft brush, cleaning off the fans with compressed air, etc., but make sure you don't take apart your hard drive and try to clean that out, for you may cause irreparable damage to your hard drive.

Also, in response to secretagent, I don't believe that reinstalling from scratch is ever overkill. It's the only way your guaranteed to be clear of programs and files which you never use.

AJ

Do you mean to have to reinstall your OS? Because I was thinking, many times system resources are not realeased when a program is exited and as a result you can get ram that you can't use and things like that which will degrade the performance of your computer. The only way to get those system resources back is reboot your computer.

hi,goddess,have you tried to use a registry cleaning program.i find that this often gets rid of unwanted embedded files still left behind on your system even after uninstallations which rarely gets rid of all their related installation files.

regards
    v/man
    Practise what you preach.