Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP Problem's

XP Problem's

OK...Don't flame me for this, even though it was REALLY stupid of me....

two day's agoe, I upgraded my Password, I went from a 14 length to a 27 length, I started of using it only on the log-on to my XP machine, with the Password hint being the same as the password, but something has gone wrrong...I managed to log in easealy several time's but not all of a sudden I'm locked out......(Stupid...I know!) any how, I have some stuff on there, and I'd rather not spend hour's backing up stuff onto floppy's through DOS....

So.....
    Does any one know a way to by-pass the Password prompt in XP....I know I can extract the SAM file and crack it sepperatly, but it would take forever...

Tanx for any help

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Just remove the HD, chuck it in another PC, copy all needed data then format the WinXP box and move on. It's frustrating, I know...I had to do it myself (not because of password problems, but cos of DeepFreeze issues with System Restore...anywho...long story), but yeah, that's what I did and it's all good now.

Greg
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

I think I can manage that......though I'll need to borrow some one's Comp...I'v only got one....I need at leas two
    tanx...

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

That happened to me once. I solved the problem by typing admin for the login and admin for the password. Its worth a try.

You didn't create the recovery disks? W/ the recovery floppies that are recommended to be made after you setup the admin account and so forth, you could get in and reset the account.

W/O the disks though, the best idea as recommended by Hot_Ice would be to drag the HDD to another machine. Perhaps a friend has a machine you could borrow for a bit?

Regards.

<edit>
    I've never tried it before, but you could try to use another persons recovery floppies. There is the potential that they would allow you the access you need. I've never picked apart the floppies before so I don't know if that's going to work though.
    </edit>
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

The Iceman Cometh
    I agree with Jeminide. When you originally installed XP, you had to have set up an administrative password, attached to the log in name "administrator" If you don't remember setting one up, just try using a blank password, because many newbies I have encountered simply left the admin password blank so there would be less to remember. Also check to ensure that you don't have caps lock turned on/off or num lock turned on/off (if you use the keypad) when you're trying to type your password.

AJ

or what you could do is boot into safe mode and then select the administrator account (unless you have it set like 2k login in which case you would just type out administrator) and then type out the password and then go to administrator tools and you can change it from there. Unless you locked yourself out of the admin account. If you did that then go with above suggestions and next time make the disk as well as not using the admin account for your account. Maybe make an account with admin privleges or a power user or something
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

There is a nice site that has a lot of Xp information and help the url is>>http://www.xptuneup.com/ I dont know if it has the help you need there but give it a try.

hey,
    why not booting to a safe mode, (Ms-Dos prompt),
    and then delete the pwl files, "Del *.*pwl"this should surely help you out., it deletes your previous passwords(which you've forgotton)
    And after you;ve done this, then boot to windows, it wont prompt for the Admin password anymore, so if you so wish, you can then set up a new Admin password.

this will surely help you out.

it's me V-I-R-U-S

hey,
    why not booting to a safe mode, (Ms-Dos prompt),
    and then delete the pwl files, "Del *.*pwl"this should surely help you out., it deletes your previous passwords(which you've forgotton)
    And after you;ve done this, then boot to windows, it wont prompt for the Admin password anymore, so if you so wish, you can then set up a new Admin password.

it's me V-I-R-U-S

I'm just gona go with Hot_Ice's Suggestion....
    but thanx any way

- Noia