Nintendo: Security by Avoidance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo: Security by Avoidance?

Banned

Post Nintendo: Security by Avoidance?

Hey all,

I was bored at work and decided to call Nintendo's info hotline (1-800-255-3700) and decided to venture into a conversation with the tech help about the whole Gamecube+Internet+Security issue. This was brought upon me when I was thinking about the whole Xbox exposť a little while back.

It appears that the Gamecube will indeed have both a modem adapter and a network (broadband) adapter coming out in sept.02. Now this is where the conversation gets fun. I asked the operator if the Gamecube will be able to surf the net. (Like the Dreamcast could) He told me that from what he knows (and he knows little) the Gamecube will not be able to surf the internet.

He said the only reason for the adapters is to connect to remote machines and play against other people. I asked if this whole thing will be set-up with a Nintendo gaming server (Like Sega) for gamers to connect and launch a game. He wasn't much help on that.

All he could tell me was that Nintendo will be releasing a game called something like Phantasy Star (by Sega) for gamers to play. I asked if this was to be Nintendo's idea of Everquest. The operator knew nothing about Everquest and could not tell me anything.

He informed me that Nintendo's (apparent) intentions is that the Gamecube is not a replacement to a computer (duh) and that computers can surf the web faster. I asked if Nintendo was going a seperate route to the Dreamcast, again a blank silence. I then asked if Nintendo was avoiding the whole internet surfing issue because of question of security on the web. He told me that Nintendo has nothing with security, but that the Gamecube is not a replacement of the computer (I heard him the first time).

I could tell he was getting a little upset at this point. (not sure why) So I figured I'd let him go. I went to their site Nintendo.com (as was told several times by the automated voice while on hold) and found very little. The only thing the site mentions is that Nintendo wants to be the innovators for online gaming Article

However, it never mentions, anywhere, how this "online gaming" will work. Will it be a server which you must connect to throught the web (ie: Blizzard) or will they have local numbers to dial and connect to a remote server? All I have come accross is that Nintendo is surely not worried about security. And why should they? It's not like someone will try something j/k

Hehe, great review on the support. I've been wondering some of the things that you asked as well, and it's too bad you weren't helped all that much. Only time will tell...

geez hes was supposed 2 be the tech support it really makes u wonder how such ppl get jobs i wonder what he would have said if u had a legitamate problem with the game cube
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Gamecube will indeed have both a modem adapter and a network
    Oh boy 56k gaming on a gamecube.

****, man...you've never played Phantasy Star Online? Good fun. There are both dial-up and broadband adapters on the slate for the GC in late summer. The only Online game announced is PSO...but.......look for TimeSplitters2, Quake (yes, I said Quake) and others in the near future. Sony and M$ are both jumping to it, but just wait...the GC is going to develop more in order to do it right...stay tuned...Just think, Metroid Prime with an update into a MMORPG...
    And don't forget...Square just made amends with Nintendo...FF Tactics Online?...maybe...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Banned
    It only makes you wonder what would have happened? (If I had a legitimate problem)

Ouroboros> No, can't say I did play it. But your review makes me interested. As for square amending with Nintendo. (Damn!) Wanted at least one company to be to PS2.

Cwk9> Yeah man! 56k! Woohoo!!! (Wonder what the lag would be like?)

If anyone wants to try to get info on their own (can't always be the same tech guy, can it?) and maybe you'll get better luck finding info.

i say we all have fun and call the tech support and have the same convo till all the nintendo tech support people kill themselves or accually get the answers

whos with me!
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Post Next-Gen

The reason that Square split with Nintendo in the first place was Nintendo's insistence on the cart format for the N64, thus, Square sided with the PS due to the CD format...and now that Nintendo is going with the more secure mini-disc format, Square is back on board. (Copyright issuses and such...thanks, PS pirates!...) A new GameBoy Advance title developed by Square is already done, and just waiting for release, while the development of a Square production for the GC is just about halfway through development...

PSO(2) through the DreamCast was excellent...the first 'next-gen' system to go online, BTW...
    But now the DC is dead, and Sony has sold out...
    M$ and Sony are jumping to be first, and though I have no doubt that they will be successful...I need more than Halo2 (yep) and FFXI to be satisfied. I want quality, not just another half-assed clone of any PC.

Just take a play of RE and Eternal Darkness to realize that Nintendo is not the system that it was when I was 10 yrs old...

I own all of the 'next-gen' systems (DC, PS2, X-Box, and GC), but I hold most anticipation for when Nintendo whips out its big guns...

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Banned
    Netsyn> I'm all up for it, would love to hear a tech guy say something like "oh, YOU again! Stop asking the same question. I already told you, I DON'T KNOW!"

Ouroboros> It's true that the PS Pirates are somewhat ruining the whole experience for the "true" owners of PS games. But it'll only be time before minidisc burners come out (not counting the portable minidisc players) It's true that the consoles have become types of PC's (especially the Xbox with it's hardrive) and that's why I have concerns of security with these devices.

I also am/was a big fan of Nintendo. I never got hooked by the whole N64 system. The controllers were crap and bulky, their "shock system" was truly inferior to that of PS (and needed batteries!) and you couldn't connect another controller during play. Has this changed?

Kwiep
    I also called (dutch guy this time) and he said he had to ask someone else and that i dialed the wrong number.
    Double Dutch