Thread: Hacking Out Of A V-Lan

Hacking Out Of A V-Lan

I was just wondering if there is any possible way to break out of a v-lan, as long as everything is being packetfiltered to port 80, no ssh, telnet etc.

considering it's usually a switch-based technology, the end result will depend on what switch (or switched router) is being used?

some generic questions to ask in the approach:
    would arp-spoofing/poisoning be of use?
    who assigns the vlan id (host or switch)? - if it's a switch how is it assigned and how is it maintained?
    is the switch isolating (and/or switching) at the physical or network layer?
    -droby10

Hum.. good question...

Depending on how the vlan is configured (pvid or .q vlans trunks...) it might be possible if you have a NIC like the intel pro/100 that can set bind to a vlan... The switch would have to be loosly configured though...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Although arp-poisoning or spoofing could work, just out of curiosity, why do you want to hack out of your current vlan? Are we talking about an ISP vlan or a corp network?

...aberration...
    [shadow]
    \"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.\"
    ~ Albert Einstein ~ [/shadow]

I doubt that arp-poisoning or spoofing would work as the vlans are not binded in anyway to ip addresses...

Ammo

hmm,

I am currently working with vlan's on a 3com switch, they can be configure by port on the switcht, so that if your traffic arrives at the switch on a certain connection, it doesnt matter what your mac address or ip address is.

Exactly...

The only way I see you could escape the assigned vlan is if you where in .q vlans on a trunk link, then you might be able to get arround it by setting the vlan id on a NIC that supports vlans like the intel pro/100....

Ammo

I doubt that arp-poisoning or spoofing would work as the vlans are not binded in anyway to ip addresses...
    you're somewhat correct, the focus being on the physical aspect of arp rather than the network aspect. while being ip independent, vlans ids are occasionally bound to mac address.

I am currently working with vlan's on a 3com switch, they can be configure by port on the switcht, so that if your traffic arrives at the switch on a certain connection, it doesnt matter what your mac address or ip address is.
    the end result will depend on what switch (or switched router) is being used?
    and per IchNiSan's comment - how it's configured.
    -droby10