Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You A Real American?

Are You A Real American?

Heres a cartoon from This Modern World that I thought some might get a chuckle from it.

http://salon.com/comics/tomo/2002/07/01/tomo/index.html

No good deed goes unpunished.

I'm sure that this had the best intentions, but I'm not quite seeing humor in it. The state that our world is in is not what I would consider a laughing matter. Some parts are humorous, but overall, it just scares me.

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

concur w/ phirephreak..........not very amusing.

i dont think many of the americans on this site will find this amusing. a lot of nationalism in america now, im a detroiter living overseas and i didnt find it very amusing.
    *the wise do sooner what the fools do later.
    --Gracian

Guess I have to disagree with everyone else. . .that's hits it right on the head lostit. Made me laugh, not in the 'oh crap that's funny' kinda way, but in the 'oh crap, how true' kinda way. Sad how you can pull a concept like patriotism out of the woodwork and expect everyone to follow it blindly. I think that is an excellent comic drawn from an outside perspective, and I don't think people would get offended, if they didn't realize that it's true.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

str34m3r
    lostit44 > You seem to have stumbled onto the hidden AO jackpot. Lately it seems that all people have to do around here to earn AP's is express some sort of pro-american or anti-american sentiment and then watch the AP's roll in.

Personally, I don't understand the huge amounts of greens (and reds to a smaller degree) being throw around recently for both pro-american and anti-american posts. I think the discussions themselves are useful and as long as they don't descend into mudslinging, they can be beneficial to both sides - but giving AP's away like candy simply because someone is pro-american or anti-american? Please...

Um, for whoever gave me the red, with the message piss off. . .I'd just like to say, so sorry, obviously you don't think I'm a real American, but if you'd like to actually discuss it, you can use all the vulgaraties you like, how's about reply to the reply I sent about the AOPoint assignment.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

as jello biafra says…

"tell me who's the real patriots. the archie bunker slobs waving flags? or the people with the guts to work for some real change... but what can just one of us do? against all that money and power trying to crush us into roaches? we don't destroy society in a day until we change ourselves first from the inside out. we can start by not lying so much and treating other people like dirt. it's easy not to base our lives on how much we can scam and you know it feels good to lift that monkey off our backs"
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Originally posted here by bludgeon
    Sad how you can pull a concept like patriotism out of the woodwork and expect everyone to follow it blindly. I think that is an excellent comic drawn from an outside perspective, and I don't think people would get offended, if they didn't realize that it's true.
    Frankly, I find this cartoon repugnant. It seems that many (including Mr. bludgeon) think it funny that whatever protection the US and its citizens take to attempt to preclude another 3,000 people from being murdered can be misrepresented and maligned by the same people who just had to get the US into WW I & II. But not only that, they almost demanded that we help them to keep the Balkans in order so that they don't have another war all across Europe!

It's way past the time that we look at our immigration laws and sytems. We will do the best that we can to protect people who live and work here - all people. Remember, it was not just US citizens who were murdered on 9/11.

And I do believe that you're either with us or against us.

Please Don't turn this into another patriotism post, we are all from the same planet here(I think!) It does'nt matter where you were born. I am English and happy to be, But I don't go around and get upset when people make fun of us, After all it is only a light hearted joke, If people were'nt so serious all the time, then life would be so much more fun, and is't that good?