Thread: pre-installed Linux pc's

pre-installed Linux pc's

does anyone know of a company that offers computers prebuilt with Linux installed as the primary OS? I Know that you can order Dell servers with Red Hat installed and a few IBM and HP servers/desktops come with Linux pre-installed (I think I read that somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong). Just curious

-the eeshman

you can get HP desktops with lycoris (one oif the worst distros) installed. IBM gave up with linux i believe although ask nicely they may still install it for you! or provide you with a blank machine i.e. no windows so you can install it yourself

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Dell offers workstations and servers with RedHat Linux, you can customize your hardware and software setup on their site. www.dell.com

Look around in Wal Mart. They are going to be selling there box's with Mandrake Linux. I have been using Mandrakes 8.2 for Months now and love it.

Bob

IBM is definitely on the Linux bandwagon. Check out www.ibm.com/linux.

Also read an interesting article last week re: IBM and Linux virtual servers. IBM has a blurb on that as well at http://www.ibm.com/news/us/2002/07/01.html . (IMHO the news article was more interesting, but this is still good reading).

Tim
    Put down the mouse......Step away from the keyboard!
    --Me

Kwiep
    There are a lot of stores who install everything for you for +/- $10,= more, even 2 operating systems if you like...
    Double Dutch

I checked out Dell and it seems that they only install Red Hat on their servers (for only $159 as opposed to Win 2K server for $700). I haven't found anything about Dell's desktop's with Linux loaded on them. I know it's probably a moot point to ask about desktop's preloaded with Linux since the most well-known and mainstream OS's is M$ windows. I'll definitely check out IBM and see what they have to offer. As for Wal Mart, I saw their online catalog that offers Microtel PC's with LindowsOS preloaded however, this OS is still in Beta. At any rate, thanks for all the tips.

-the eeshman

I am pretty sure I just saw a couple HP desktops offered at CDW that come pre-installed with Linux. Proably some Mandrake version.
    I have recently begun using one of my machines with Linux Mandrake 8.1 as a general desktop, but find obviously that it isn't as easy to use or easily networked into a Win 2000 environment. A techie doesnt have many problems with navigation, but a general user?? Forget it.