Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Encrypted OS's

Grrrr M$ pisses me off so much, I'm a gamer as well and can't get all my games to work under Wine so I have to dual-boot, in any event I hate owning any piece of their software. Why can't they just play fair?
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

What I get a laugh out of is the quotes by many people stating that since it is hardware encryption, it is much more secure than software encryption. It didn't take long for the hardware-based security features of X-Box to be hacked. The problem is that since it is hardware, people will be able to slowly conduct a multitude of tests on the chip, changing the voltage, temperature, etc., until they find out just what it does and how. Once that is done, it won't take much to compromise the whole system.

I would strongly suggest any proponents of this system read Bruce Schneier's book, Secrets and Lies.

Originally posted here by drugless
    What I get a laugh out of is the quotes by many people stating that since it is hardware encryption, it is much more secure than software encryption. It didn't take long for the hardware-based security features of X-Box to be hacked. The problem is that since it is hardware, people will be able to slowly conduct a multitude of tests on the chip, changing the voltage, temperature, etc., until they find out just what it does and how. Once that is done, it won't take much to compromise the whole system.

I would strongly suggest any proponents of this system read Bruce Schneier's book, Secrets and Lies.
    Depends on how the hardware encryption is done. The X-box is reasonably flexible as its BIOS can be re-flashed. However, the ecncryption algorithms it is using are pretty standard (MD5 etc.), so whatever MS do, it won't be long before any update is cracked.

Banned
    um...is it just me or does it sound like just annother way for MS to force you to upgrade EVERY piece of software you use? if every program has to use special code to identify itself, what happens to current software(which would lack such features) if you try to run it on this system? more importantly, what is the point of making the perfect cell if sombody else is going to be holding the key?
    it also looks like its a way to stop software "sharing"...... if everythings got its own codes, and is i read it every single program will have its own code...... like my version of the program will be different from yours. so if everyones got there own codes you wont be able to share files as effectivly....... i sence a conspiracy here (yet another)......... do i see another online IDing system on the horizon?