Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls

Banned

Firewalls

What is the best free firewall? I used to use zone alarm, but I heard there were major security risks with it. So from all your personal opionions what is the best "free" firewall there is?

Even if you used the best firewall there is, it's rendered useless unless you have it properly configured. IMO, the best freeware firewall for windowz is Agnitum Outpost. You can download it here: www.agnitum.com

I would agree with agnitum. Used it for a bit and like it better than most firewalls you have to pay for. Only down side is that it doesn't work with Win XP's internet connection sharing, so if you don't need that, I'd go with agnitum. Free version has a few less features than the pro, just look and see what you need.

RA said it best - you have to insure that whatever firewall you are running is configured properly. Everybody has their opinions on which is the best firewall, but you'll definitely get a lot of votes for Outpost. But on the other hand, there are a good number of people who really love Zone Alarm, and I've seen it recommended in some pc-related magazines in the past.
    - Maverick

Not only configured properly, also updated regularly.
    Keep track of security sources (the register/slashdot etc.) to remain posted on issues with the firewall you use.

I'd recommend using both a hardware firewall solution and a software firewall solution. This way, you can configure both of them to start filtering/blocking at both the network and application levels. For software, I'm using Zone Alarm. For hardware, if it ever friggin' gets here, is the SMC Barricade Plus Cable/DSL router (the SMC7004FW).
    -Hadoob024-

Personally, I have used zone alarm for a very long time, then while surfing around and checking different ports on various sites to make sure its working well, one stated that port 135 was posting as open and was a possible security threat. I then found Agnitum outpost firewall on the same site, downloaded it and wow!!!! Not only did it completly close port 135 that za had open, but further configuration also blocked ad's, and was able to better observe network traffic on my simple dialup. I would strongly choose outpost over za for a free firewall.
    See dick... see dick hack yahoo...see dick go to jail... dont be a dick.

*nix

sygates another good one

I got the new zonalarm pro3.0 and it is not that bad, it just takes ages to load even on a fast pc, it is better than the old version, because you can block ads and pop-ups, which really get on my nerves