Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extremely Negative Posts... need attention getter.

Extremely Negative Posts... need attention getter.

I know this may sound quirky, but you know the original "Post Assignment" gradients and arrows that show a post's AP-balance? Well, I think that it would be worthwhile for extremely-negative posts to have some sort of flashing item or attention getter so that other members of the community can scrutinize them and decide whether they think that the rating is truly deserved. I think this becomes more important with the recent events of AP-balance-dumpage and quick bans.

I took the original images and came up with a little "This post is Ultra-Negative" graphic with which to replace the current extreme-negative indicator.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Kwiep
    great idea i think...maybe it's should be even more flashing with other colours and stuff..
    Double Dutch

Cool, I think that this would be great so more people are aware of the situation.

And as a counterpoint to that... though possibly less useful...

that is a good idea, Terr..
    addtionally I'd like to see (with a mouse over) a "this post is xx points away from going suicidal"

Hi mom!
    What if you only had the indicator flashing? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good idea, but imho, with all the blinking, moving and flashing things we got, this site is starting to look like some carnival But that's just a matter of taste.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Thats a pretty nice idea. BTW what did you use to add the effects? Just wondering. What would be the requirements for getting it to flash or throb?

Guus: If just the little triangle flashes, a lot of people will miss it. At least, I feel that I would, and my gut feeling is that it's just waaay too small to get attention.

KhakisRule: I joined the Leage Of Evil (tm) and used Microsoft Image composer and my original graphic segments to make (for each good/bad) a "normal", (which is already on the boards) and a "flash", and then for the intermediate step took the 'flash' version and made it semitransparent, and superimposed it over the original. The animation was done with Microsoft GIF Animator, which I take was made by some creative employee in their spare time, it's a very frugal yet functional little program. Photoshop, to put it bluntly, sucks for small icon-like doodads, whereas MS Image composer fits my needs much better for iconographic and button-like things.

The 'requirements' would be pretty simple, these graphics would simply replace the current graphics which show the triangle indicator in the same position. I think I made either nine or seven of them... I think it was nine. I'm just providing replacements in this thread for two of those nine, the extreme ends of the spectrum. (Although I care more about the 'bad' indicator being replaced.)

SumDum: That would be nice, but I don't think it would be quite as useful as it sounds, since for a whole THREAD to go suicidal, it may be more complex than just having one bad post. What I would rather see, in that case, is a little alt-tag/tooltip which tells you how badly the last X posts by the user were rated, on average.... not that that would be very useful either, come to think of it... :/

Banned
    Great idea, Terr.

Terr, if I understand you correctly, I think it's a great idea. I think there needs to be some human interaction with the suicide and auto-ban features. They are good, but they could be better, simply by having a little bit of human common sense added to them. I think there needs to be some way to see what and who is being closed/banned before it actually happens. A lot of it seems to have gotten out of control lately, with people with just one or two posts being banned, and good threads being closed by the addition of single posts that get flamed into oblivion. I mean look at the amount of time we had to put up with JRoc, and System_Overload...that was too long, but we all lived. I think that taking a n00b and banning him over one or two stupid posts is possibly causing us to lose very valuable members in the long run. And possibly causing us to become a "clique" of users, that don't welcome newcomers.

JP, I'm not saying that the site isn't wonderful, and I know how much effort you put into it..but I think maybe a little tweaking would be beneficial in this circumstance!

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.