Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Extremely Negative Posts... need attention getter.

well i dont mind that idea to have some sort of interaction to stop a good post from dying..i personally use proximitron so the little flashing giff is just a static image that looks exactly the same as a normal one.. i am kind of doubting this will get implemented though because from my understanding it was designed with the idea that a person could only get flamed so much for a bad post before it is shut down ...if this idea is put into action it sort of defeats that purpose.that is just my opinion though and im sure there would be exceptions to this as always..

Originally posted here by debwalin
    And possibly causing us to become a "clique" of users, that don't welcome newcomers.
    just annother little thing i noticed about the clique-ishness here: all it takes is one or two people to give a few points(+ or -, generally doesnt matter) and all of a sudden the points start flying like crazy; posts that are relitavly comon become either the worst posible thing anybody could have said or the most insightfull thing ever. its quite annoying, and i know i personally have been treading lightly recently, cause i know that even with what i have for AP's, all it would take to get me banned is pissing off the wrong 2 or 3 people and next thing you know i'd be gone. personally, i think it stifles conversations a bit as newcomers are afraid to express opnions contrary to what sombody with more AP's has said(although i havent experianced this here, i can see why one would).

over all though, the sight is great. it just(as most things do) needs a little tweaking IMHO.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Originally posted here by destined 2 fail
    well i dont mind that idea to have some sort of interaction to stop a good post from dying..i personally use proximitron so the little flashing giff is just a static image that looks exactly the same as a normal one.. i am kind of doubting this will get implemented though because from my understanding it was designed with the idea that a person could only get flamed so much for a bad post before it is shut down ...if this idea is put into action it sort of defeats that purpose.that is just my opinion though and im sure there would be exceptions to this as always..
    Proxomitron essentially makes the very first image static, from what I understand... (I used it to personally implement the changes to the AP displays before it was adopted by JP) So I'll just change the ordering of the images so that the image is still somewhat attention-getting.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I was a little afraid for this, flashy things aren't good if over used, but the verybad.gif looked like it wasn't too harassing. Verygood.gif blinked too much but I was just going to suggest something like that before I read Terr's next message which then introduced it.

And sumdumguy, I don't think there is a fixed amount of negatives when the thread goes suicidal so your idea about that wouldn't work.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

I changed the ordering and timing of the images, the ordering should make them display at least somewhat uniquely when gif images do not cycle.

Here's the other one... I know these messages are short, but remember, a picture is worth a thousand words! Although perhaps less, if you use unicode.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Good idea Terr, but I don't think having one for good posts is a good idea. Not only would there be flooding (lots of things flashing) but also with the inherent problem of people getting AP points for all the wrong reasons (like asking for help, just posting, etc), it would be incorrectly flashing up posts that are 'extremely positive' and full of crap.

On a side note, I would suggest also putting in a cap of positive AP points on a thread. I mean, after so many negatives, the thread is locked but nobody is prevented from putting pile upon pile of positive AP points into a thread as long as it's positive. Suggestion would be to make it reach a certain level of positive points for the thread then lock out the AP ability after that. Might sound stupid or whatever but hell, it's only 7:33 right now.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Wavy colors are always an eye getter, darker more evil colors are good for the negitive and lively colors work good for the positive. I say rock on, and keep up the good work.
    http://mars.walagata.com/w/azgard/sanzo88.gifThe sharper the edge, the cleaner the wound. So, I\'ll be keeping it dull tonight for I deserve to hurt

nice idea, I noticed that the "verybad" does not flash as much and is less visible. The "veygood" is good though. I like the idea, it makes you just read the good stuff. BTW: I how annoying is this, I typed this in capitals, then had to rewrite it! ;-(

Prankster
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

Banned
    I just mention alltheweb had an MP3 section that I thought was nifty, and I got neg 50 ap points for that one post.