Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMWare for Linux Config Help.....

Banned

VMWare for Linux Config Help.....

Ummm, When I installed VMware via tgz (same thing happens with rpm) When it gets to the part where it looks for custom vmmon modules, it says it has to custom compile my module, when I point it to my includes directory (/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-0.4/include) it tells me that the kernel found is multiprocessor while the running kernel is uniprocessor..... Here are my exact commands...

Code:
    Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your 
    running kernel.  Do you want this script to try to build the vmmon module for 
    your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes] 

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-0.4/include

The kernel defined by this directory of header files is multiprocessor, while 
    your running kernel is uniprocessor.
    Any help is appreciated...

str34m3r
    If you use /lib/modules/2.4.18-0.4/build/include for the source files, then it's the currently running kernel instead of the generic source code.

Banned
    Ok, Thanks, One more question..... I installed VMWare in Windows, but I have no idea how to get my RH7.3 running.... Any suggestions

str34m3r
    I'm sorry - I can't help you there. I've only worked with VMWare for linux. If you have any questions about that version, just ask and I'd be glad to help.

P.S. Did that directory work or you? It works on my machine, but I just wanted to be sure.

Banned
    And no.... It says the same thing... And I tried both of the kernels ythere custom and not.... Any idea whats wrong?

str34m3r
    Do you have the kernel-source and the glibc-kernhead packages installed?

Banned
    i dont know..... How Do I check

str34m3r
    rpm -qa | grep kern

It should come up with several things. Hopefully, two of them will be the packages I mentioned in my earlier post.

Banned
    [root@localhost root]# rpm -qa | grep kern
    kernel-2.4.18-0.4
    kernel-source-2.4.18-0.4
    kernel-pcmcia-cs-3.1.27-12
    glibc-kernheaders-2.4-7.11
    kernel-utils-2.4-5
    kernel-doc-2.4.18-0.4

Thats what I got, So I guess I have the packages.... What do I do next?

str34m3r
    I'm at a loss. I've run into that error befre, but using the include files in the /lib/modules directory fixed the error for me. The only other thing I can think to try is to run a search on your hard drive for other places where an include directory exist. Something like:

find / -name "include"

should find them all for you, and then try each of them to see if they'll work for you. It's confusing, because the /lib/modules directories are supposed to correlate one-to-one with their respective kernel versions, which means that those directories shouldn't have smp and single processor versions in the same directory.