Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Stalker

Online Stalker

I have an online stalker who keeps trying to hack my computer. I have protected my computer with usual protection and more... but the guy keeps trying it... I´m thinking of sending him a message or trying to make him stop. What do u think should I draw the line and take charge? If yes how do I go about it?

MrEsco
    Beware of weird people

The first thing you should do is start logging the attacks. Once you've got a hefty log with the person's IP address or addresses, and a log of the what attacks the person has been using, you should contact appropriate people in law enforcement.

Remember, don't do anything yourself. If you fight back, you are just as guilty as the guy who's trying to hack you. Let the law enforcement deal with him, and you'll be better off.

yeah i agree with that. batten down the hatches,lock down your security tight as possible and log the attempted connections...another alternative might be to show said logged attempts to this individual and maybe itd wake em up and theyd leave ya be..but then if not youll have the logs to show the authoritys.

Taking it to the authorities may be of value, but if they are hacking you, they may request proof of damages before they will do anything with it. If you have a firewall logging the attacks, get the attackers IP and check it out with a whois, http://www.samspade.org/, this will provide you the name of ISP associated with the IP in question. Next step is to report it. Send a copy of the logs to abuse@offendersisp (not all ISPs have an abuse dept, but many do, if this address fails, go to the ISP's site, get the tech support # and they will give you a method for reporting to them)

If your logs truly indicate malicious intent and the ISP fails you, try working it through with the abuse department of your own ISP, they will often times work with you. Alot of this takes much prodding to get them on it though.

Good luck, hope this helps.
    Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

I too agree with chaoswraith the first thing you have to do is begin accumulating evidence of this individual’s attacks on your system. The more evidence you have the better. Assuming you get this person’s IP from the logs of one of the attacks you should be able to find who this individual’s service provider is and if legal action is unnecessary or not an option then you can at least report this person to their provider and their service will be cancelled. But until you have the evidence to back it up all you can do is tighten every possible way in and entrench yourself with you gather your proof.

if you lock down and log attempted connections it can be passed off as nothing but a random port scan at best. i say go out and buy the cheapest pc you can find, leave it wide open, still implementing strong logging, and let him/her trash it - then take action. this may be a little vindictive, or staged - but you're more likely to get the legal action taken that you desire.
    -droby10

u should log all attacks and IP addresses if it is persistent go 2 samspade get s/he ISP network they use and send them a nice email *not abbusive its not the isp`s fault* with u r logged attacks and possibily soome action will be taken from there but dont reataliate 2 the attacks that would just lower u 2 there level and possibilly get u a criminal record if u get caught
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

taking it to law enforcement wont work i think.. taking it to the isp has much better effect then law enforcement cuz he will probably get a warning email.. and it'll scare him off..

Good Luck..

ThaVolt
    The Fear Of Dead Keeps Us From Living, Not From Dying..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Most ISPs now have it in their TOS that if an account is found to be doing things like port scans or other nefarious activities and it can be proved (your firewall logs), the account will be shut down immediately. At least, that's what Tampa Bay Roadrunner has in its TOS.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Hi mom!
    MrEsco, to what ISP do you subscribe, and to which ISP does your stalker subscribe? ISP's like Planet and XS4ALL take this very seriously. Further more, contrary to what ThaVolt says, -do- report this to your local police station, but make sure they report it to a section called 'Computercriminaliteit." You cannot report to them directly, but your local police station can. Tell them this, most of the ordinary officers simply do not know.

Taken from Justitie.nl
    Wat kan Justitie doen tegen computercriminaliteit?

Het Ministerie van Justitie en het Openbaar Ministerie willen de recherchefunctie versterken. In dat kader worden in 2002 verschillende projecten (w.o. werkprocessen in opsporing en vervolging) afgerond. Daarnaast is de politie begonnen met de uitvoering van het nationaal Actieplan Digitaal Rechercheren. Dit moet de opsporing in staat stellen om adequaat op te treden tegen alle vormen van digitale criminaliteit.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.