Thread: need help with perl guestbook

Post need help with perl guestbook

I got the perl guestbook from www.scriptarchive.com and followed all the instructions in the readme. It just wont work... my site is novadaemon.t35.com .. dont laugh its just a little project.. anyway. i dont know why it wont work cuz t35 supports perl and everyhiting has the right chmod... for some reason it doesnt open guestbook.pl and its really bothering me.. i checked all my links more than 7 times and it still doesnt work.... what should i do??? any help would be good.

o and none of the links are active except teh guestbook so dont bother exploring...

o and none of the links are active so dont bother exploing.. except the guestbook... u can view the source if u find a problem and edit guestbook.pl.. plz tell me if u find a problem...
    I feel deprived because microsoft blinded me of a true OS like linux by hiding windows with \"easy\" features and a simple to use install interface. its OS\'s like linux that make this world a better place.

I was viewing the source of addquest.html and I see

Fill in the blanks below to add to our guestbook. The only blanks that you
    have to fill in are the comments and name section. Thanks!<hr>
    <form method=POST action="http://your.host.com/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl">

I think action=http://your.host.com/cgi-bin/guestbook.pl"> might be causing your problem.

cheers,
    -D

Also, make sure that the first line in the guestbook.pl file has the directory where the PERL interperter is located. It varries on different systems, but is usually /usr/bin/perl on a Unix/Linux system. The first line for that location is "#!/usr/bin/perl". On my computer, my interperter is located in G:/Perl/bin/Perl5.6.1.exe, so my first line is "#!G:/Perl/bin/Perl5.6.1.exe"...

Another thing to check for is what dspeidel said. One last idea is to make sure that the guestbook.pl file is in the CGI-BIN, or a directory for scripts, so that the server exectues it, rather than upload it...

-Tim_axe

Post OMG

ok... axe that was very helpful info... where can i find a perl interpretor? and do i have to upload it on my site? im kinda new. plz help..
    I feel deprived because microsoft blinded me of a true OS like linux by hiding windows with \"easy\" features and a simple to use install interface. its OS\'s like linux that make this world a better place.

NovaDaemon: Usually your server will have one installed somewhere. You'll have to ask the administrator where it is located at. I'm not too sure if you can put one in your own directory, but even if you could, it might not be a very smart thing to do...

It could be located anywhere, but on most *nix systems it is located at "usr/bin/perl". On a Windows-type system, it could be at "C:\Program Files\Perl\", or something... After you know where it is, you should edit the first line to be like "#!Path". Make sure it ends with the program's name. If it is inside the folder "C:\Perl\", and the name of the program is "Perl.exe", then you'd use "#!C:/Perl/Perl.exe". I'm not too sure about the orientation of the slash, but I think it should be a "/"...

To sum it up... Ask the admin of the server where the PERL Interperter is at (or find a FAQ or something), and make sure that you have access to it so that you can run your PERL Script...

-Tim_axe