Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DivX 5.0 warning

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

DivX 5.0 warning

So someone said "Dude, you gotta check out Raven Shield's latest video but you'll need this Divx program...go to www.divx.com and get the latest!". Being an avid follower of Raven Shield, I said "Sure thing, right away, I'm on it!", went and got DivX 5 I think it was and installed it.

*bad shite rolls downhill here*

Not 1 minute after installation, I get the usual banter from Gator/CMN/etc all wanting to get to the internet. A big "WTF is this" is issued and I promptly run 'Ad-aware 5.82' with the latest updated reference file. Keeping in mind, I don't install things that promote spyware and I keep a very clean registry (Ad-Aware for spyware and RegHeal for cleaning out unused key/values/etc).

My clean system now had 38 new registry entries for Gator/CMN with 4 running resident in memory. One of them was even named 'Gator SilentInstallSetup'!

Needless to say, I removed it, ran Ad-Aware, ran RegHeal, deleted the folders/etc, and cleaned everything back up.

Moral of the story: yet another program with that damned Gator crap has been found (by me anyways). Just a heads up to those that use it!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Banned
    Did you really need Divx 5.0? I usually get my updates from www.divxmovies.com, and still find myself using version 3.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I never had it to begin with. Generally, I use Quicktime which doesn't have the right codecs for what I was trying to view. Bleh!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Banned
    Vorlin, I was reading your post and was like 'WTF, doesn't he read License Agreements???'.

I was pretty sure I'd seen the GAIN (Gator Advertizing and Information Network)-agreement while installing the DivX Codec.
    Now, I noticed something else:

There are two versions of the codec (that is, I have two versions):

- DivX501Bundle.exe and DivX501ProGAIN.exe.

I installed the first one (there was NO GAIN-license agreement) and ran adaware: absolutely NO spyware was found...

I installed the second one (with a GAIN-license agreement) and ran adaware: 7 components were found (5 registry-edits, and 2 files).

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Vorlin, I was reading your post and was like 'WTF, doesn't he read License Agreements???'.
    Dude, you're asking me to read...READ!! Haha, yeah, I went back and saw that in the flurry of screens as I blew past them clicking Next as fast as I could...my fault for that but I still don't want people to go without knowing where Gator can show up. I'll install the DivX501Bundle.exe one since it does have good stuff (if I need it).

Moral of this story: I need to really read those EULA's, rofl...all fifty pages of them it seems.

It's simply amazing.......My outpost firewall has picked up the program 'Gator SilentInstallSetup' on my own computer........I don't see the point in naming your setup program as the obvious when it's trying to run in a stealth like environment. Do these people want us to hate them?
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

Totally agree with negative in that I installed the DIVX5bundle and I have the Divx codec installed with no adware... Just check it out you can get the codec without the grabage...!

I hate spyware... If I want it on my system I'll install it I dont want someoone else doing it for me without my knowledge...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

quick question vorlin...

why is ur side stats next to ur post in bold ???
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    It's just an unclosed bold tag...that's all.

You realize that there are 3 versions of the current DivX codec. The first being the free version with less features, there are two with more features, appropriately named DivX Pro, one is free but comes with spyware/adware and the other you have to pay for and does not come with any spyware/adware. So unless you need the extra features, I haven't yet, then stick with the basic free version, I use it now and have had no troubles with adware or spyware.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you