Restoring an old server, need help.

Thread: Restoring an old server, need help.

Hi mom!

Restoring an old server, need help.

I am looking for distro's that can run on a 386/20MHz, which has to be installed using a combination of 10MB NIC and 5 1/4 floppies. The machine is going to be a dedicated IRC-server on x386.net. Some form of BSD is preferred... Anyone, any ideas?

For those interested, pictures of the server will be posted as soon as it's in operation
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    FreeBSD would be my choice as it offers security, flexibility (linux ports and such) and most importantly (in your case), the following from www.freebsd.com:

FreeBSD can be installed from a variety of media including CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, floppy disk, magnetic tape, an MS-DOS partition, or if you have a network connection, you can install it directly over anonymous FTP or NFS. All you need is a pair of blank, 1.44MB floppies and these directions.
    Your complete install could be done remotely via anonymous ftp! Hope that helps!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Hi mom!
    That's just the thing, Vorlin... The hardware doesn't support 1.44MB floppies! We tried to build one in, but the cabling doesn't support that either

Apart from that, FreeBSD runs on systems with 4 to 8 MB's of ram (we have 10), but the installer requires 16!
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Crap...somehow 5 1/4" turned into 3.5" haha...lemme do some more looking so I don't sound like too much of a retard!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Guss> go back to an older version of Free BSD. OR check NetBSD, they claim it will run on anything. I have yet to see it on a refrigerator or microwave, but give it a couple years....
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Guus,

dont know the in's and out's of it, but is it possible to do a network install on the machine ?

Hi mom!
    That's exactly what we want to do. Do you have any NetBSD 5 1/4 inch netboot floppies available?