Thread: Formatting a HD with Solaris in a Windows environment

Formatting a HD with Solaris in a Windows environment

I have a hard drive that curretly has Solaris 8 on it. I've upgraded my Solaris box to a new hard drive and want to use the old one in my windows machine. I simply want to slave the old Solaris HD off of the master in my Windows box. I can't seem to figure out how to get that windows machine to format the Solaris HD. When I boot the Windows machine, the bios recognizes the actual disk. Where do I need to go to be able to format that to a FAT partition. Will partition magic or boot magic work? I was also wondering if it would be plausible to maybe use a Solaris boot disk in the windows machine, then some sort of format from there. Will any of that work? If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

Fdisk should work.

Go to a DOS prompt, type fdisk, if it doesn't run, look under \windows\command

It will bring up an old style TUI.

Switch disks, show partitions, delete the solaris partition (it should show up as a non-dos partition). Make sure you have the right disk, otherwise you will trash your system...

Once you delete the solaris partition, create a new DOS one...

Format it

You are done...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Shouldn't I have to use some type of arguement or drive specification with the fdisk? If I do, that's where I'm running into the problem. It won't assign a drive letter for me to associate an arguement to.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

You shoudln't have to...go to : set active partition

Select the other disk from there...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

Great....i'll give it a try when I get home from work. Thanks for your help. Just out of curiousity....do you know if partition magic or boot magic will recognize a solaris partition?

I don't know, I have only needed to use partition magic once when I wanted to modify the number of sectors allocated to each cluster (back in the day when this could free up alot of disk space if you have alot of small files and the disk was > 2G I think)...

Really shouldn't need anything like that for this...

Neb

alright....much appreciated. Thanks