Win2k doesn't read CD-ROM..

Thread: Win2k doesn't read CD-ROM..

Unhappy Win2k doesn't read CD-ROM..

hello ppl,
    I'm having a rather unusual problem or at least one that I do find unusual. I've two OS on my system, Win2k Professional, and WinME. This problem started a couple of days ago - Win2k can't read my CD-ROM. I just get the message "Insert a disk into drive". But the same thing works fine under WinME. This problem started a couple of days ago, when I installed and ran Daemon Tools for reading CD images. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. thanx.

_iNsAnItY

insanity,
    It sounds like the software you installed may have corrupted the cd-rom driver! Surf the web looking for the site of the cd-rom manufacturer and dl the latest driver for your cd rom. Prior to doing this you may want to uninstall the new software and remove any refernces from the registry. Hope this helps.

Captfb
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

In W2k, Right click on MyComputer then select Properties | Hardware tab | Device Manager button.
    Expand the DVD/CD ROM drives.
    Right click on the CD ROM and select uninstall.. Confirm that you do want to uninstall.
    Now right click inside the Device Manger window and select Scan for hardware changes.
    This should "find" your CD ROM and reinstall it.

Thanx Captfb and Doug, but it didn't work out unfortunately. I did try uninstalling the CDROM, and then reinstalling it, but its still the same, won't work on Win2k.
    I'm reading on the documentation of that software Daemon Tools, maybe that should help. But anything anyone here could tell me would be a shot in the arm.. thanx guys.

iNsAnItY

Have you confirmed that the cd-rom drive has supported 2000 drivers by looking at the manufacturer's website? Also in device manager does the cd-rom show up at all? When you right mouse click the cd-rom drive in explorer can you manually eject the tray? Does this error message come up when you try to spin or use a cd? Good luck!
    [glowpurple]\"I like to think of myself as a sensitive inteliigent person with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most important times.\" Jim Morrison[/glowpurple]

This sort of thing happened to me with a pentium pro 200mhz a couple of years ago. When i had nt 4 installed my cd-rom worked, when i put windows 95 the cd-rom didn't work. I got a devicedriver for my motherboard that was a pci-isa bridge. when i installed that it worked like a charm. Not sure if it will work but thats what i did.

The Iceman Cometh
    Try uninstalling the Daemon Tools. Does it work then? If it does, you know that it's something software related, rather than Windows related. If it is Windows, you're going to have to find a new device driver, as others have suggested, or maybe you can try a BIOS upgrade (it's always worth a shot). If the problem is resolved by removing the software, contact their tech support and see what they say. If you can't reach their tech support, maybe you should find a different program to handle the same thing.

AJ

Check the event viewer for a cdrom error then look the event number up on the ms knowledge base.