Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well that didn't work

Well that didn't work

Well, Following on from the XP problem Forum, I just tried what Hot_Ice said, and it didn't work. http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231831

Here are the fact's:
    * Both HD's are called C: - Could this be a problem?
    * The Host HD is NTFS, and mine is FAT32. - Would THIS be a problem.
    * Both HD's are Boot's, and use the same OS (XP Prof)

Well, any idea's ppl?

Tanx

- Noia

EDIT: OK, sorted out the Link problem Still looking for help though, I wanna avoid having to Format at ALL cost.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

sure you posted the right link??...hot_ice didn't reply to that one..and it doesn't seem to be related to your current question....ie> doesn't mention 2 hd's???...and you say you got the problem fixed....(could be why nobody's responded...hehe)
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

um.....
    Yes.....SHUT UP!
    I'll fix it
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Both HD's are called C: - Could this be a problem-im not sure

The Host HD is NTFS, and mine is FAT32. -could be..i dont know if xp can access fat 32, i know that 2000 cannot

Both HD's are Boot's, and use the same OS shouldnt be...bios should decide who boots

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Hmm just a thought... If I was going to open a file on C: , would the computer know which drive to look in.. hmm That could be a problem.
    x

I'm sorry, this is going to be NO HELP...but I'm finding myself saying the same thing over and over today...it's one of those days I guess....LOL!

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Banned

Re: Well that didn't work

Originally posted here by Noia
    Well, Following on from the XP problem Forum, I just tried what Hot_Ice said, and it didn't work. http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231831

Here are the fact's:
    * Both HD's are called C: - Could this be a problem?
    * The Host HD is NTFS, and mine is FAT32. - Would THIS be a problem.
    * Both HD's are Boot's, and use the same OS (XP Prof)

Well, any idea's ppl?

Tanx

- Noia

EDIT: OK, sorted out the Link problem Still looking for help though, I wanna avoid having to Format at ALL cost.
    Both HDs = Yes
    NTFS/FAT32= not too sure
    Booties = i think it is fine

The Iceman Cometh
    I'm not sure that I'm understanding this correctly, but you said that you followed Hot_Ice's advice so how can they both be C? The fact that one drive is NTFS and the other is FAT32 doesn't make any difference, XP can read and write to both without any problem. Did you change the jumpers on the back of the drives so that one is a master and one is a slave? Set the host for master and the other for slave. Then, when you boot, the host drive (which you're booting from with XP) should load fine. Then, when you're in Windows, you can copy the files off of the other hard drive (should become drive D) Once you have everything backed up, the best solution would be to format it. As you said in your edit, however, you don't want to format. In that case, what I recommend doing is to stick the drive back in the other computer and boot from the Windows XP CD. At the first prompt, choose the Repair option and remove the sam file. Otherwise, you're pretty much S.O.L. without the password recovery disks...

AJ

Both HD's are called C: - Could this be a problem?
    Do you mean that each drive is called C, when normally
    installed in its own machine, or both are called C when
    installed in the same machine?

I think, when you install a drive into another computer, The OS
    on that machine will assign a new drive letter to it, so it will not
    be C. because it is not the first hard drive on the computer.

You install it as "slave", on the first IDE channel (on the same
    cable as the existing drive), or on the second channel.

Under no circumstances would two drives be designated
    as C at the same time, or you'd be in trouble.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

They where both Called C: on their respective Comp's, but I gave up...I formated spend about 2hour's moving thing's to disk's (Grr) but I managed so save some work....Now I have to path up everything again.....euch, it's gona take me over a week.

Tanx for all the help ppl

- Noia