Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should i buy

Question What should i buy

I need to buy a new computer, but i can't decide what i want, so i figured maybe you guy's could help .
    I need it for autocad. I do alot of 3D and i don't want a computer that will make me wait 40 min to finish rendering.
    I got two choises:

-AMD Athlon MP 2x 2000+
    A7M266-D ( dual CPU) AMD MP
    2 x 512m MB RAM DDR PC2700

or

-Intel P4 2.2 G
    P4B266-C INTEL P4 478pin
    2 x 512m MB RAM DDR PC2700

I'd go with the one that uses the Intel. I've got a computer with an AMD chip in it, and it overheats often.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I would go for the AMD because they are a lot cheaper and they are quite fast as well

Yeah they do overheat quite a bit, but if you keep the temp down and install extra fans then they work ok

Try and get a motherboard for the AMD with only one processer slot, unless you really, really need it

The first one is more expensive cause its a dual proccesor, about 700$ more.

AMD's are hot but they are less expensive then the Intel. If you go with AMD make sure you have good ventilation...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

You dont mention video card.

For 3D rendering, the video card is very important. Why have a high end processor if all you have is a low end generic graphics card.

I would go with the dual-amd, even with Windows it will run faster, but if you use linux, it handles dual processors much more efficiently than Windows.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

If you are into CAD then go for the Pentium. AMD is a good all around chip that works better for overall computer processing. But to date, Pentium chips, especially the new P4, will work better for graphic processing and rendering. So to help you chose, I would go for the Pentium if the computer is going to be only for CAD, but if you plan to use the computer for other processes and reasons, then go for AMD.

Originally posted here by cheesegoduk
    Try and get a motherboard for the AMD with only one processer slot, unless you really, really need it
    The first one is more expensive cause its a dual proccesor, about 700$ more
    If it's going to be a server machine, and you want to spend the extra $700, go with the AMD, but if it's just going to be a home PC, you probably won't need the extra processor slot (I've heard from some friends that "a dual processor machine can actually be worse than a single-processor machine if it's reading and writing to shared memory."

-Mike
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

the video card is a gf3 128mg in both cases
    cad is basically the most important need i have for it but it will have other uses
    thanks for the replys