Friendly virius?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friendly virius?

Banned

Unhappy Friendly virius?

Why are all viriis bad? Can't virus makers create a exploit-patch-virus? A virus that come into a computer and patch the exploit without doing any bad things like install a trojan. If it were someone who got the loveletter and modified it with a outlook-patch, then the loveletter (the original) didn't do so much damage. So all nice computer programmers, start make friendly viriis!!!!!

Someone did attempt to do this. I think it was around the time Code Red or Nimda came out. I believe he/she got into some pretty deep **** for doing it too. I'll check around and see if I can find more info.

Cheers:
    DjM

well...you might call symantec live update a friendly trojan...it can connect to the internet without your knowledge..(ok you have to tell it to...but after that...you won't know...) it updates itself and other programs and files...all without your knowledge...

windows update too...

both could easily do bad things...and hmmm...maybe do.......hehe
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I did find some Info. on a Virus which was called the "Cheese Worm". This worm/virus attempted to fix/patch systems which were infected with the "Lion Worm". The Anti-Virus community(vendors) were not that impressed and believed sending one virus out to attack another was not the correct method for fighting Viruses. You can find more information HERE and HERE

Cheers:
    DjM

The worm you were referrring to was known as code green. It actually used the same exploit as code red but would download the fix for it. I kinda wish they would have let it run a little more, even months later our gateways are still pounded by servers infected with code red...kinda sad commentary on how many people are dilligent with their server security...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Originally posted here by nebulus200
    The worm you were referrring to was known as code green. It actually used the same exploit as code red but would download the fix for it. I kinda wish they would have let it run a little more, even months later our gateways are still pounded by servers infected with code red...kinda sad commentary on how many people are dilligent with their server security...

Neb

Well that got me looking again, I think we're both wrong, I think (hey, I could be wrong again) it was Code Blue Here's some Info on it.

Thanks Neb.

Cheers:
    DjM

Code blue was a response to code red. Code red supposidly was a chinese worm that only attacked 'english' or 'american' web sites. Code blue was a response that attacked only chinese ones...or at least that is what I remember. And that code green was the one that fixed them. I remember seeing it on security focus when it all came out...

neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

i've actually been thinking of that for a while. it would be an interesting job to write. you try to take all of the virus info and put it into one roving "doctor" not necessarily a trojan. i have a feeling that the virus companies would block it to avoid losing the customers to a free antivirus.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Well I think the reason that people would not agree to having good viruses is that they won't have actual control of their system. If for example, I have a vulnerability in my machine and a good virus comes and fix it, I would not be that impressed still because I did not approve of it coming and fixing my machine. Even if it fix it, the fact that I was not aware of it is the bad thing.

Banned
    While the motivation for writing a "good virus" is at root an attempt to be help and keep systems safe the author is still has to use some sort of exploit in order to get into the system to apply the patch. Most companies would still consider this an attack, especially if it uses the same tactics of the Code Red, Blue, etc.