2 software firewalls?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 software firewalls?

2 software firewalls?

Maybe a simpel question but is it possible to use two firewalls like for exampel alarmZone with Lockdown?

MrEsco
    Beware of weird people

it's absolutely possible. you get twice the safety, or if one firewall misses something, the other might block the hole left open by the first firewall.

-Nitro-

It's possible, but not always advisable... One well configured firewall is better than two badly/loosly configred...

But you're free to do it!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Kwiep
    If ur pc is fast enough why not...
    Double Dutch

Whatīs the definition of a good configerd firewall?

MrEsco

"A smart man has more questions then answers"
    Beware of weird people

Banned
    it might slow down ur computer though

A good configured firewall (depending on the software) is how the rules are set. For instance, if you do not allow certain services to be run (like FINGER, TELNET, FTP, SMTP and so on), and block the well-known trojan ports (12345, 31337, etc) and maintain a good log on what has been probing you (via snort perhaps) , then you have secured your system pretty well.

As for running two firewalls, I do not see why this would be a problem.

Also, do not forget your anti-virus... hope this helps.

As I was reading through this post, I saw Nitro's post. There are good and bad things to the usage of 2 software firewalls. In some instances one firewall will have a hole that another will be able to block but also the usage of 2 firewalls can cause them to interfere with each other. In simpler words, the firewalls can get into each other's way and give out conflicting commands. In complex words, with 2 firewall's, sometimes if they both try to close off a single port, the port can act improperly and can actually be opened. Aswell if both firewalls try conflicting commands, in example one commands a port to open, and the other to close, again the port can act improperly and become either open or closed. This could then cause the holes of both firewalls to be open and decrease your security further than that of using one firewall. And it can also cause problems if. . .

I could go on and on, but the message I am trying to clarify is that if you properly configure a single firewall that is of quality your results will be better than that of two firewalls configured properly that are of quality.

Banned
    I run two software firewalls and it works great. I've got an outdated version of ZoneAlarm Pro and an up-to-date version of Norton Personal Firewall 2002 on my router, and then a crossover LAN connection to my main PC which i've got the freebie version of ZoneAlarm on. Secure and cheap... can't beat that.

I agree with The3ntropy on this...2 firewalls can conflict with eachother, and from what I've experienced with Norton Internet Security 2002 (my only firewall besides windows xp's built in firewall which I don't use) is that it slows my internet connection down quite a bit. playing online games is tough, so I have to turn it off when I play games. so my guess would be that if you have 2 firewalls packets must go through, it will slow your connection down twice as much as 1 firewall.

just make sure you have one firewall that is properly configured, and you should be fine. but if you're trying to secure a server or network (which I don't think you are), you would want to use multiple firewalls (on different computers/routers; I won't go into a network topology tutorial so I won't be able to explain it in full). For regular home use, you should be fine with a single properly-configured firewall.

-Nitro-