Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Killing pop-up ads

Killing pop-up ads

Does anyone know how to configure IE (or Kazaa) to stop pop-up ads? Or program that kills it. Thanx.

i dont think theres any way to configure kazaa or IE to do that but i no theres lots of programs, i used to have one but got rid of it because it wouldnt let the links open things in new windows, you can find it and probably lots more at http://www.thefreesite.com
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

there used to be a way...

i know there is a way to completly destroy pop-up adds with the system regestry... pop-ups are (Believe it or not) stored in temperary internet files... but they arent... (How do i say this) actualy there... if you look @ the location of the file... its in the temperary internet files folder, mmk? but.. if u serch that folder, it wont be there... u can empty the folder, look @ the pop-up directory, and it will still be in the temperary internet folder... so i guess its more advanced than hidden. :-P but n e ways.. the tricky part is... while the file is (Not understandably) "hidden" in the {temp. in.} folder, It accesses files from the system 32 folder... confused? id try and explain in detail.. but for those of u who know what im talking about, go into ur system regestry, and alter the file in system 32... though DONT EVEN try it unless u know what ur doing. so yes.. there is a way to kill pop-ups... but its not configurable.

â€*Phateâ€*
    †Phate†

Old Fart
    for Kazaa, go to http://beam.to/spybotsd and download spybot search&destroy. Look to the left for the English flag to translate the site, cause its in German. It will kill all the cydoor crap and replace it with dummy files that keep kazaa working ad-free. It will also search out and disable all the spyware on your computer, including stuff that AdAware can't detect. For IE, there is a setting in JAVA that you have to disable, but I can't remember what it is. I've been using Mozilla to browse with. It doesn't support popups, period, and has a bunch of features that IE can't even begin to touch. www.mozilla.org if you want to give it a try. Happy hunting!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I am on the case

With internet explorer you want to configure the regular internet to a harsher standered than most people do. Under internet options then security go to the internet setting and disable active x and active x scripting, disable java and disable scripting of java applets. Now create a trusted site list of sites that you want to use their java. It takes a bit to set up but it'll cause a whole lot less head ache as popups just disapear.

Another solution is to run opera and they just have an option under file quick preferences that says refuse popup windows and open popup windows in the backround.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

There's a program called SpyBlocker that will stop popups and most other ads too. It also
    blocks spyware and web bugs. It's shareware now. If you want it search for SpyBlocker
    at www.google.com.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

lol, http://beam.to/spybotsd actually has a popup! ;-)
    hehe thanks allenb!

Prankster

PS: Don't you hate it when your typing something long and a popup comes up, you carry on typing, and it doesn;t register, know what I mean?
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

Banned
    AnalogX has a great pop-up killer at: http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/pow.htm

I use PopUp Killer... it was on www.download.com, but I'm not sure if it's still there. After some "training," it's effective and uses very little system resources. There's not much continuing training that needs to be done if you visit the same sites regularly and even if you venture out to new sites, it's easy to add new sites to your blacklist. I'm sure if you do a Google search for it, it will be out there somewhere...
    [shadow]
    \"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.\"
    ~ Albert Einstein ~ [/shadow]

i used adsubtract for a while, but to use the pop up feature you gotta buy the real version for $30US. it works really well and takes out ALL the ads.
    now i use mozilla, i love it more than my girlfriend.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?