Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: win 98 boot proccess

Question win 98 boot proccess

does any body know the win 98 se boot proccess. like what files are loaded and when? i'm trying to trouble shoot my system and i need to know.

Banned
    What files are needed for the boot process or what form of temp files are created when a 98 machine boots up?

i can't quite remember the exact phrasing since i've long ago dumped 9x but...you can check the file order by selecting "manually confirm drivers" from the f8 start up...it will ask you whether you want to load each or not...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

What specifically is the problem you are trying to resolve?

From Technet website:

Q192926

Clean-boot troubleshooting refers to methods of reducing behaviors that may occur because of your computer's environment. Many behaviors that occur when you run Windows or programs occur because there are conflicting drivers, terminate-and-stay-resident programs (TSRs), and other settings that are loaded when your computer starts. Your computer's environment includes settings from the following files:

Msdos.sys
    Config.sys
    Autoexec.bat
    Winboot.ini
    Windows\Winstart.bat
    Windows\System.ini
    Windows\Win.ini
    Windows\Wininit.ini
    Windows\System.dat
    Windows\User.dat
    These files are loaded as part of the boot process when Windows starts, and the files help create the environment that is used by the operating system and programs.
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

Banned
    Do you want the step by step POST process? I can provide that. I still have all my A+ books & notes.

Check in \bootlog.txt, it gives the order of drivers and virtual device drivers being loaded...

Or do like was said earlier and use F8 to manually step through it...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    See my tut Why is NT/2k so much more stable? Part 2/5. It will explain the entire boot process for DOS/win 3.1, Win9x, and winNT/2K. Hope that helps.
    x

thanks guys for your help. here is my problem my computer crashed and when i try to reboot i get the "Invalid system disk" message. if i stick in a boot disk i can get to the dos prompt with cd rom support. so what i'm trying to do is figure out exactly what is cuaseing the system to hang. i've gone into bios and mad sure that the boot order is not messed up and i fdisked and c is set as the primary active drive so that leads me to believe that some thing is wrong with the OS files

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Boot into dos with a disk, at the propmt type fdisk /mbr, that will reinstall the boot files into the partition table. That should fix it, if not let me know and we can go from there.
    x

thanks X i tried that and then restarted and got the same thing. fdisk is recognzing the drive and dos is recognizing it too. but it still wont boot to windows