assembly with debug

Thread: assembly with debug

assembly with debug

Hi, I was just experimenting with a program called debug that comes with Ms-DOS, i used the r comand to display the conetents of the registers, I then used the rax command to view the ax register, noticing it was the same value as befor, so i did another r command an all the registers had the same value, I had a program called winamp running in the background and I am woundering, why did the registers not change, wouldent winamp be useing the registers too?

How come even though I have programs running in the background, the registers do not apear to be changeing?
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

Debug is running in a Virtual 8086 session, emulating
    an 8086 PC. It only reports the registers in this
    "virtual machine", not the machine that hosts it.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I would like to thank you so much for helping me as much as you have. Though I do alot of web searching before asking questions sometimes I have dificulties understanding things, and sometimes I just find it dificult to find the answers, and you have been a big help to me. 10X so much for all your help. I am now doing research on this emulated virtual machine 8086 that you mention, it makes sence though, so esentialy the registers I am seeing is not the actual registers but a virtual copy for me to play with, which is good because I would not want to mess with the real registers and goof up anything.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~