Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media: Hacker? -> Digimon 3

Banned

Media: Hacker? -> Digimon 3

Hey All,

And it continues... media fuels the paranoia that everyone can be a "hacker" and that the world is full of them.

The newest installation of the Digimon collection (Digimon World 3) is running an advertisement on television which protrays anyone as a hacker.

Ad:
    Starts off with a balding middle-age man with glasses walking on the sidewalk through people, the colors go psycodelic and puts the word "Friend?" then to "Hacker", while the guy looks at us with demonic intentions. Then it goes to a asian chick (pretty hot) and does the same. Then to a teenage guy and so. Finally shows 10 secs of game clips and then back to the labeling of "hacker", this time, to a 12 year old boy.

Anything to make something look "k007" to script kiddies and paranoic to uneducated adults.

Banned
    I saw that commercial too, and i was thinking to myself..."does this video game even have anything to do with hacking?" lol

I saw that ad when i was reading the post "Injustice in 2600" about the PBS show- syberchase, with a evil hacker that try's to take over the web.
    \"keep your friends close, your enemys closer, and your administrator closest.\"

I saw this commercial too. I was screaming at my tv for that little 12 yo on it. I was screaming stupid commercial and stuff. I mean, that's the stuff that makes hackers seem like little kids. The media screwed over our name just to get a story about something to increase their ratings. I just get really mad when they have little kiddiots trying to act cool, they make me mad, but to put a kiddiot on tv(dunno if he is a kiddiot, but if he has anything to do with a hacker, chances are he is) thats just messed up. Does the game makers even know the proper definition of a hacker. The media gives hackers a bad name. I really want to complain to that company. It makes it seem like hackers are everywhere, and it's simple to become one, which is NOT true. There are kids here in my area that just figured out what hacking is, and don't know what log off button does, and have no clue what linux is. They just found out and figure hacking prolly isnt hard, and go d/l every program they find, and they go around telling stories, so I ask them basic questions to get them to shut up when they are lying to me about their "1337 |-|/\x0r|ng" and what they tell me leads up to not making sense. One time a kid told me he hacked computers by "merging internet explorer with microsoft word" yes, that is what he said, no joke, it dosent make sense, so I confused him and got him to admit he was lying. I just don't see why the kids think they can get away with this stuff.
    [gloworange]Die, or surrender, either way won\'t work.[/gloworange]
    [shadow]HuntX7[/shadow]

It's all semantics anyways. You can call a 12 year old by any name and he'll more than likely still be a kid. Advertisers use buzz words like hacker to get a response. It's just a word and should be discarded as thus.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

Banned
    Originally posted here by huntx7
    I saw this commercial too. I was screaming at my tv for that little 12 yo on it. I was screaming stupid commercial and stuff. I mean, that's the stuff that makes hackers seem like little kids. The media screwed over our name just to get a story about something to increase their ratings. I just get really mad when they have little kiddiots trying to act cool, they make me mad, but to put a kiddiot on tv(dunno if he is a kiddiot, but if he has anything to do with a hacker, chances are he is) thats just messed up. Does the game makers even know the proper definition of a hacker. The media gives hackers a bad name. I really want to complain to that company. It makes it seem like hackers are everywhere, and it's simple to become one, which is NOT true. There are kids here in my area that just figured out what hacking is, and don't know what log off button does, and have no clue what linux is. They just found out and figure hacking prolly isnt hard, and go d/l every program they find, and they go around telling stories, so I ask them basic questions to get them to shut up when they are lying to me about their "1337 |-|/\x0r|ng" and what they tell me leads up to not making sense. One time a kid told me he hacked computers by "merging internet explorer with microsoft word" yes, that is what he said, no joke, it dosent make sense, so I confused him and got him to admit he was lying. I just don't see why the kids think they can get away with this stuff.
    Tomorrow IM me and we shall contact them...oh and amen!

I've also seen this comercial.. It was funny how the media made it seem like anyone could be a hacker. The kid on the street or the old man on the bench... At the same time though, I was kinda pissed. I was like WTF dose this damn digimon sh*t have to do with hacking? Nothing. Not a damn thing. Now every 13 year old that's into digimon is a hacker.. Beware folks, make sure your firewall and antivirus software is up to date. The digimon h4x0r$ are on the loose. Look for an advisory from CERT in the following weeks.

Banned
    Cute Remote_Access

I just dislike that now all kids will think, hey, I'm a cool hacker, like in the movies...
    Why do I say I'm a hacker, because I beat Digimon World 3!

Oh boy....

Ninja Code Monkey
    ummm tyger, kids already think that they are cool hackers like in the movies. We get people like that every day in irc.

That or it's 'I'm a 1337 hacker because I write batch files' etc...
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

i wanna see the commercial to this game.

maybe a link to its page? please.. this game seems soo

soo! 1337!! i gotta check this one out.
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.