Mitchell Crooks arrested - who are the "crooks" here ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitchell Crooks arrested - who are the "crooks" here ?

Mitchell Crooks arrested - who are the "crooks" here ?

Don't know if you've been watching the latest in the incident concerning the police beating this kid in California or not.. but it could lead to more riots in the streets if they let the cops off the hook this time.

Well my title to this thread is really about the guy who taped the incident and his arrest and
    the outlandish way that things are being handled by authorities.. hell, while Mitchell Crooks
    was being interviewed over pubic radio.. he was informed that he there was a subpoena for
    him to appear and that he better show up.. they never really handed him personally the subpoena.

here is one link from cnn.. but what's on tv has been showing a bit more to the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/07/11/pol...ing/index.html

what do you all think.. ?

i saw a bit of this on cnn today and i saw the tape, it was pretty bad but they only showed a few seconds and it made the police look like bullys. it showed one cop punching the kid in the face while 2 or 3 other lapd officers held him against the squad car.
    one of the cops was black.
    they all looked like they were pumped up on steroids and twice the size of the kid.

but they also mentioned the kid had bitten scratched and resisted arrest.

there are good and bad cops i know, and you have to take into account the stress these guys are dealing with so i usually give them the benefit of the doubt, especially l.a., nyc, detroit, miami police officers......you get the idea.
    *the wise do sooner what the fools do later.
    --Gracian

Angry

It's gonna piss me off just reading the news stories about it, plus they're after the guy that made the tape too. They're just mad that people always seem to catch them at an inconvenient times.
    I don't know....Whatever the case maybe I personally just want to see what's gonna become of all of this.
    One minute of keeping your mouth closed is worth an hour of explanation

I dislike most cops. Not because they are cops just because they have an attidue "I am a cop, I can do anything"

My friend was walking down the street (buffalo,NY) in an area that has a known dime house (weed) and a cop drove by and stoped and said hey faggot get over hear . Josh (friend) walked over there and said that you cant call me a faggot before he knew it his hands were twisted behind his back and he was tasting the hood of the police car.

Same city me this time about a block away driving in my car. Aproached a light in a double lane cars to my right and cops were comming with their lights on. Seeing that there were cars in the other lane i had no way to move over for them unless i wanted to hit someones car so i had no choice but to sit there. THe cop pulled up to my window called me a ****ing ******* and took off. I was so pissed
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

"It's reported that [Jackson] after being placed on the vehicle grabbed the testicles of the officer, and thereafter he was punched."
    I don't know...
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

the guy who shot the tape had outstanding warrents so dont make it out to be them going after him because he taped them...
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Banned
    On cnn today, I heard that some lawyer said that the kid had touched the groin of the officer and so deserved to be punched. I didn't see that on the tape. Did anybody else? And that the kid was a little slow, and so took a bit longer to follow instructions.

Unhappy

exactly, i was hoping somebody else heard that and not just me, they said that on several different stations' broadcasts,
    ...The suspect(Jackson) grabbed the officer's testicals while being arrested...
    and Euclid,
    I dislike most cops. Not because they are cops just because they have an attidue "I am a cop, I can do anything"
    that is not ture, the cops are there to protect the public, and yes there are a few that have an attitude but every damn day they go out there and risk their lives for a living trying to protect us, so i think maybe just maybe they are entiteld to have a little bit of an attitude, as long as it doesn't interfere with their work let them be pissed off at the people breaking the law.
    My friend was walking down the street (buffalo,NY) in an area that has a known dime house (weed) and a cop drove by and stoped and said hey faggot get over hear . Josh (friend) walked over there and said that you cant call me a faggot before he knew it his hands were twisted behind his back and he was tasting the hood of the police car.

Same city me this time about a block away driving in my car. Aproached a light in a double lane cars to my right and cops were comming with their lights on. Seeing that there were cars in the other lane i had no way to move over for them unless i wanted to hit someones car so i had no choice but to sit there. THe cop pulled up to my window called me a ****ing ******* and took off. I was so pissed
    how do you know it wasnt the same cop with a bad attitude? and i really really hate to bring this up but, do you try and dress like you're in a gang and are you of african-american descent? i no thats horrible stereotyping but just that type of dress and unfortunately usually african-americans are looked down upon by law enforcement because the few that are in gangs and hate the government make the feds all suspicious and disdainful toward all the rest. i bet its 10 times more likely for an african american to get pulled over in the same situation in whitch a middle aged white guy would just get let off with either a ticket or a warning. just another example of how life aint fair and you just gotta deal with it, but how many of you heard about the cop that got killed here in seattle a few weeks ago? probably not very many, thats because the media doesnt think that showing the true heroes will get them good ratings so they stuff that away and wait for a cop to do something wrong and then publicize the hell out of it. heres a short page about the deputy that got killed and for all of you that still think cops suck thats your problem and maybe you should move to a country where the police wont do anything if you are getting robbed or beaten or your wife raped, hell, in some country's they'd probably help out, so maybe you should give a little respect to the police of this country for what they do.

just thought maybe a few of you that still dont like cops should read this
    To the family and friends of Deputy Herzog, my prayers are with you in this difficult time. Deputy Herzog has joined many other police officers, deputys and military police officers who have given the ultimate sacrifice, their life. We know the hazards of our job, yet we do them with profesionalism and love for others. May God comfort you as you grieve. SrA David P. Carlson, Patrolman, 31st Security Forces Squadron, Aviano Air Base, Italy
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

Originally posted here by 8*B@LL
    the guy who shot the tape had outstanding warrents so dont make it out to be them going after him because he taped them...
    Well, if he had outstanding warrants, why wasn't he picked up before the incident? Particularly ones that are mandated "without bail?" It sounds like a case of "you turned us in, but we found some dirt that we can use to (hopefully) discredit you" if you ask me... though videotape doesn't lie, it can certainly present things a bit out of context.

But, I've worked with officers... pretty closely and on a daily basis, as a matter of fact (go figure) - and the ones I've worked closest with would agree with me here. As with any profession, I think, there will be some that make the other "legitimate" ones look bad - and frankly people have a whole hell of a lot easier time remembering all the crap, bullsh*t and terrible things than they do simply remember the wonderful public servants some of them are and can be...

Yes, they can be a bit biased (who isn't, at times). Yes, some of their agressive actions can seem quite violent - do you blame them with some of the sh*t that they have to put up with on almost an hourly basis? When was the last time you were walking up to someone to ask them a simple question and they pulled out a gun and fired at you? Any idea how you'd react if you encountered that problem? And, afterwards, how would you treat the next guy that reminded you ever-so-slightly about that situation?

I think there's a strong corrolary between cops and sysadmin/netadmin... how many BoFHs do we have here? (*raises his own hand*) Any idea how BoFHs get their reputations? Any idea what some motivating factors might be? (Someone want to help here?) Just how many times have you gotten an email from a luser or similiar, stating that such-and-such didn't work and it was impacting them horribly and they couldn't seem to solve it for the life of them blah blah blah? Of course, phone call solves nothing... then you walk over to their desk only to find out that the damn thing isn't plugged in, or turned on, or whatever... you know what I'm getting at... and every BoFH here has had that happen to them - repeatedly.

All I'm trying to say is that cops are human, in a very stressful and demanding job. I do not condone their actions in any way, but I'm not a cop - and I certainly wouldn't want to have their job. I do hope that if these additional security cameras are found to contain evidence such to support the victims' case that these cops are made an example of... if, on the other hand, the cameras show a much more elaborate situation if which the cops could conceiveably be "protecting themselves," then so be it...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

ok, put this into perspective. we don't go around beating the crap out of our computers every time they crash. being an admin, code jocky, whatever, times can get pretty stressful. especially if a multi million company is on your back to get this problem solved cause every minute down is a few thousand dollars. yet, when all is said and done, we don't wait for an opportunity to take the computer down a dark alley and smash in its drives. there are lots of jobs that are stressful, but police seem to be the only ones that can get away with beating up the clientelle to get what they want. them and the mafia. which one would you rather fear?
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?