Thread: strange content on my pc

Question strange content on my pc

Greetings,
    I just needed to recover my dial-up acoount password and when I've done it with a program ( Cain ) I saw a strange line in addition to recovered accounts which was like this :
    " crypt_My computer name here Pwd: ±qPpS "

I never had such a password on my pc. I don't know what it is and at least it is related to which program.
    Has anyone any idea?

This was happened on win98 machine with zonealarm installed and updated Norton AV and the cleaner.

Probably not much help but...

It looks like somebody added an account to your system with some sort of intrusion script that he/she was not familiar enough with to properly configure. Or, some program you installed added it that so it could access system files or permissions for something devious, if you are sure that that should not be there, then write it down, delete it, and if it breaks your favorite proggy then that proggy proably put it there.

This might not help much but it is what came to my mind when I saw it.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Thanks aeallison , I think you might be right, it should related to a program, I've searched the registry for that but didn't find anything.
    BTW, nobody has phisycal access to my Pc

Go to webattack.com . I have found a lot of useful freeware there that has helped me in the past, look for trojan detectors and cleaners, I think you'll find them listed under security.

Aw crap, did you check for any viruses or trojans in cain? I used it a long time ago for the same reason, to recover cached passwords, turned out there was a trojan. Scan it with an AV program post haste.

khakisrule

Aw crap, did you check for any viruses or trojans in cain? I used it a long time ago for the same reason, to recover cached passwords, turned out there was a trojan. Scan it with an AV program post haste.
    This sounds like you need to post a warning about a possible virus/trojan in cain.

WOW, this is what this sight is all about, I wish I had more antipoints I would throw some at you just for your prompt response and attention.

All virus scanners detect cain as a trojan, but it does not have any hidden trojan inside. They detect it as a trojan because of it's "abel.exe" file which is a trojan like sub7 client which is not itself a trojan but AVs detect it.