Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning problem

Partitioning problem

I got a hdd partitioning problem. I had a 4.3 gb hdd and i tried to install mandrake 8.2 on 3.4 gb , keeping 945 mb as it is. I remember i tried to remove windows bootloader through rescue utility in installation of mandrake 8.2. Now i removed all partitions through linux inst disk and i can access only 945 mb of hdd through fdisk or pqmagic etc. But i can see the whole hdd in linux install procedure. Its an experiment machine and no data is important(As am still a student). Can i use any low level tools??

please help me..

using dos access fdisk. You will probably see a non dos partition there remove that and the windows partition and write an empty disk.

I tried it... even if i had a 3.4 gb linux ext2 partition, the fdisk will read like this
    ext dos 3.4 gb
    U have total 945 mb of free disk space.

even after deleting all partitions through fdisk / mandrake disk (i tried both ways) to clear all hard disk without any partitions at all, even then i got only this 945 mb in fdisk.

when i tried to create an fat32 partition through linux disk and try to install win 98 , the set up pgm can't format my hdd saying the clustering information is not correct but linux shows no problems for hdd. That makes me feel that it is got something to do with low level formatting but i don't know how.. when using pqmagic also , if i had an ext2 then it will show as ext dos. if it has no partitions, then only the 945 mb is shown in pqmagic...
    does ndd help in this

Try something like partition magic which may be able to do it. The errors you are getting make me think maybe you have a corrupt disk.

reinstall windows and while in the process reformat the hdd(partition as neccessary), then uninstall windows and put mandrake on. if that doesnt work id have to say youve got a hardware problem and youll need a new hdd
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

Hi mom!
    There's a way to completely remove all partition-table information. All you need is a bootdisk (DOS, Windows) that boots to command line.

Boot your computer with the flop, make sure you get a dos-command line

at A:> prompt, type:

debug [enter]

Now, a low-level program will be started, and you will be presented with a dash (-) prompt
    Before continuing, be aware, following these steps will delete all data on your harddrive, and will remove all partitions as well.

Each of these lines has to be typed in exactly:

Code:
    f 200 L200 0
    a 100
    (Here, the prompt will change to a memory address: [<four characters>:<four characters>]. That's ok)
    mov ax,301
    mov bx,201
    mov cx,1
    mov dx,0080
    (Note: 0080 is your first hard drive. If you want to do this on your second, use 0081, for your third, use 0082, etc.)
    int 13
    int 3
    Press [enter] one more time on the next blank line. Your prompt will change to a single dash again.

Type this:
    Code:
    d 100 LF
    Make sure that the following line reads this (xxxx can be anything):

xxxx:0100 B8 01 03 BB 00 02 B9 01-00 BA 80 00 CD 13 CC

If any of the values (except for the xxxx's of course) are incorrect, type Q [enter] en start over.

If the above line checks out ok, do this:

Code:
    g=100
    q
    Your partition-table is now completely cleared. You can use fdisk, or any other tool to reset them. Don't forget to format your new drives!
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

er0k
    wow guus im sure that will be alot of help. just be careful when typing those commands anuapsap, entering the wrong hdd could be dangerous. good luck.

Hi mom!
    To be sure, you could always temporarily remove the harddrive, fysically. You can't delete anything on a harddisk that isn't in you computer...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Its very late on tuesday that i got a view into new threads and advices by guus, but i hope it will be a great help. I will try it out and say later..

but yesterday, i used redhat 7.1 to make a 988 mb extra fat 32 partition and in my windows 98 on my 1st partition(945 mb originally), i also got a d(988mb) drive. but my fdisk pgm still shows that i got only 945mb hdd.

i will try the other way of debug, but before that, i will be glad to know what am doing.. (Atleast for knowledge sake)..

thank Yuo

i have had problems removing partions created by linux with partion magic or m$'s Fdisk
    i found out from a freind of Free Fdisk...search around online and u will find it...tis 1000x better then M$'s version....it can remove those pesky linux partions
    [gloworange]Website
    File Server

[/gloworange]