Thread: OpenBSD trick

OpenBSD trick

Hi guys/gals,

I was playing with command in shell terminal last night for OpenBSD and I found this trick (by myself I don't know if you can find that in google) "How to change KDE/GNOME/BLACKBOX,etc for your OpenBSD as your default desktop"

1.Yes...you need to install KDE/GNOME/BLACKBOX,etc.
    2. login as root and then type "whereis startkde" or "whereis gnome-session" or "whereis blackbox" ,etc..
    In my OpenBSD box came up like this:
    # whereis startkde
    #/usr/local/bin/startkde

2. And then edit your ".profile", you will find something like this :
    PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
    export PATH
    HOME=/root
    Look in your "PATH" section and then add /usr/local/bin/startkde (you can do same thing to gnome,blackbox,etc)
    3.The last thing is.. I've done this one:
    # echo "/usr/local/bin/startkde" > ~/.xinitrc (you can do samething for gnome,etc..)

And then reboot, after that type startx and you will find KDE/GNOME,etc as your default desktop..

I hope this helps

ps: If I posted this one in wrong forum somebody please tell me, I will delete it ASAP and BTW I am not really sure if this one tutorial...cause only short one)
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Sweet! Its phun finding stuff out for yourself, huh?

I'm not sure if it works in OpenBSD, but in Red Hat, you can just type

Code:
    switchdesk
    or
    Code:
    switchdesk kde
    or
    Code:
    switchdesk gnome
    from any console. If you are in X at the time, you have to logout of X then back in, if not, then the next time you login, it will change for you.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

code:switchdesk

or

code:switchdesk kde

or

code:switchdesk gnome

from any console
    Yupe that one working only for Linux and not working for OpenBSD (this one works only for OpenBSD and for FreeBSD different too) but thanks phis I copied that command

Cheerss

I always skip the whole echo command and just edit .xinitrc to say startkde etc..
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Yeah, that works. I believe I've seen it documented somewhere but I don't have a reference at hand...

BTW, you only needed to edit your path because you were running as root... (the # and the HOME=root give it up ) normal users (non root) already have /usr/local/bin in their path...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss