Thread: MSN messenger a danger?

MSN messenger a danger?

Hi guys,

beside the files downloading does messenger bring more risks with it? with other words is MS messenger a danger/risk to computer security? Open ports ect.

MrEsco
    Beware of weird people

Old Fart
    Get a good firewall, anti-virus, and a trojan detector/cleaner....don't accept files from people you don't know, especially executables and you should be alright. And since it's a MS product, visit the updates page regularly for patches!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    I do not use MSN Messanger, and I find it consitantly trying to communicate through my firewall. The current state of MSN Messanger is blocked on my system.

I would also like to share this information for MSN users.

Welcome to Mess With MSN Messenger, the best resource for MSN add-ons, tools, bots, skins, tricks, secrets and more stuff for your favorite instant messaging client!
    http://www.mess.be/

ohno i hope not, me us that all the time. people ler me know if someting bad can happen using messenger.

This would depend on where it is used. Generally speaking in a work enviroment IM in any form is usually considered a security risk. Why because you may have any number of users that may accept any download that could be used to as a gateway into your network. Logs from any IM are usually just text and can be altered and in a work enviroment this is not good and as in the past any exec that uses IM can and has paid for what they exchange in IM. Prime example I have is I was blocking a virus at my firewall and it was not getting through, well one user inspite of the warning went to their web mail and downloaded the virus and infected the all the severs. Called me and said you know that file you warned about well I went to my web mail and downloaded it will this screw anything up? IM in a work enviroment is not good since Admin cannot control the users actions. If it is at home take your own risk all of IM are full of exploits. Me don't use IM or IRC anylonger from this simple fact I'm connected to people I may know on-line and most may are ligit but it takes just one bad apple to enter the room or a bad apple that waits weeks and social engineers everyone to use them to exploit a flaw.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    I would suggest the following:

-Get good anti-viral and firewall software for your computer.

-Never disable your anti-viral and firewall software, if asked or otherwise.

-Never accept files from anyone you don't know or trust.

-Try to avoid contact with strangers. Only communicate with your close friends.

-Use caution at all times.

It never hurts to be too careful.

Banned
    Originally posted here by Fakeboy
    I would also like to share this information for MSN users.

Welcome to Mess With MSN Messenger, the best resource for MSN add-ons, tools, bots, skins, tricks, secrets and more stuff for your favorite instant messaging client!
    http://www.mess.be/
    Has anyone checked out this website? If so how would you rate the information? Any Good? Useless? If there is anything good I may just start using Messanger again.

Originally posted here by Fakeboy

Has anyone checked out this website? If so how would you rate the information? Any Good? Useless? If there is anything good I may just start using Messanger again.
    it's an intresting website with many patches and add-ons... although most of them are flooders and other annoying tools....some are really useful...

MSN Fanatic is a partner site of Mess.be and it has great information and tools for encrypting messages on MSNM and lots of stuff if you want to make bots for MSNM...
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.