Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irc?

Question Irc?

Is it safe to download a file that comes up in order to use a chat room?Thank You

Re: Irc?

Originally posted here by lodebare
    Is it safe to download a file that comes up in order to use a chat room?Thank You

Who are you getting the file from?
    - Maverick

nooooooooooooooo dont , if its so important get them to link you to a mirror, or for them to put it up on thier webserver (if they have one)

with file sharing in irc, you give out your ip address.

lmao or do you mean the java plugins??? for ppl such as yahoo or antionline?

Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

Talking

The reason I asked this,I noticed a post on computer chat by someone who calls himself raven.If I'm not mistaken there was something about this raven in some posts here that was not favorable.What caught my eye was this person asked that you disable several things on your computer,I may be a newbie but this does not sound right,have downloaded many things and never had to disable anything.My main question is how do tell if a chat room is safe or is it just a gamble?Thank You

common sence, and a open mind to how others can try social engineering techiques for you to lower your defences, dont disable anything dont download anything unless your chattign to your mother, even then i wouldnt be so sure :P

BTW:what did he want you to disable?

this seems like a very bad attempt at social engineering, for him to give you a Trojan horse or a Virus , but if you dont know this person you have no reason to trust him, and lower your defences.

Preep

Talking

Hi preep,thank for replying.It asks for you to disable your AV program.YEAH RIGHT!Curiuos but very careful.Thanks again.TGIF!

np, glad to help

Preep

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me see

This is how a conversation with me would have gone.

them:- please install this, and that, and disable your AV protection
    me:- NO

anything that requires your AV protection to be switched off is a NO NO (even if you know them)

Regards

chances are bud that its a virus. Maybe even a botnet virus. Very likely. Don't accept file from people you don't know.

DALnet had stopped the transfer of executable files because of so many people downloading viruses.
    Viper

Talking

Hi bofhandpfy,Gurl,Viper thank you replying.