Thread: Brutus Password Cracker

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Brutus Password Cracker

A tool by the name of Brutus has quickly become one of the best password crackers on the internet, along with Unix's Crack, Nt's NTCrack, John the Ripper, and The L0pht Crack Series. But unlike those password crackers this one is complely remote based.
    Brutus can remotely crack SMB (netbios), telnet auth, HTTP Basic Auth, HTTP Form, POP3, and FTP sessions via brute force attacks. Brutus also has the ability to you to create more BAD or Brutus Application Definition these are custom attacks on Remote applications.

To do this you have to Define the Sequence this is done by going into the dropdown bar labled "Type" then clicking "Custom" This will cause a new button to appear in the Authentication area of the program it's labled"Define Sequence". When you Click it a box appears named Brutus - Authentication Definiton Sequence

As you can see it has Many options to create custom BAD files.

Here are some more screen shots of the program

This is the Main Application Window.

[IMG]http--www.hoobie.clara.net-brutus-screen3.gif[/IMG]

Brutus's Wordlist Generator

Brutus's Brute Force Generator

I hope that you have found this useful or at least interesting.

nice

nice

brutus has been around for a long time... and hardly works anymore! unless your scanning your own boxes for common passwords this tool is pretty worthless,thanks for the trip down memory lane though lol

Hey ArPaNET,

This thread is 2002 vintage, so it was more relevant then? Right now it is of interest to students only, I would have thought?

It was one of, if not the, greatest brute forcer of back then?...................... next thing someone will mention SubSeven............. and the tears of nostalgia will really flow

oh I agree, definitely a good program to study! LoL I can't wait, SubSeven was a good program... good to hear from you again nihil

Can someone help me?

I have brutus and whenever i use it everything works fine except what happens is it will attempt the password once and only once and will tell me the password is the first letter in the list i have and i have tried different lists and they all do the same thing. Does anyone know how i can fix this?

I hope we don't start bashing the member for reviving an old thread. It's high time we implement automatic closure system for all threads based on time / inactivity.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Dang-it Byte. I already had my rubber mallet primed and readied.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Hi, Some Tuna, and welcome to AO.

Please start a new thread for your question, as it relates to a problem you have in getting the application to work, rather than to the application itself.