Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brutus Password Cracker

Custom User
    kurt_der_koenig...re-read the pic. It doesn't mean anything. It is telling you that someone attempted to connect to sub seven on your computer. That does not mean you are infected. Your message could have appeared for many reasons.

Also - for everyone that is moaning about the file being a virus - why don't you find an alternative source for the download. I know I wouldn't download a binary off any forum, even AO, unless I was absolutely sure about the person sending it. If someone suggested a program to me and were not willing to send the source, I would not download it from them and would seek out a website for the program, or some other download.

[edit] And for the antivirus lovers: just because you scanned the file and your AV doesn't find any viruses, doesn't mean that there isn't a virus in the file. It is possible that the virus might not have been detected by the AV companies before, and therefore there is no definition for it for the scanner.[/edit]

ac

is there a site or somewhere were I can try out Brutus legally? like letting me crack passwords?

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    If you have a broadband router you can test brute forcing it’s http or telnet password. Here is a Divx Video showing how to do it with Brutus: http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/brutus1

Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Darn.... It seems Norton does not like
    Brutis .... Even from the orginal source....
    Franklin Werren at www.bagpipes.net
    Yes I do play the Bagpipes!

And learning to Play the Bugle

Avant picked up the Brutus download as a Trojan.
    There wasn\'t any paper used here, but millions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced

the beign of authority kurt_der_koenig's Avatar
    which is what I would expect. Nothing about subseven. When did you get that message, when you ran the Brutus exe?
    Yeah but it really doesn't matter! I'm clean, Nortan destoried it and then I scanned my box with swatit and it found nothing!

kurt_der_koenig...re-read the pic. It doesn't mean anything. It is telling you that someone attempted to connect to sub seven on your computer. That does not mean you are infected. Your message could have appeared for many reasons.
    I know that but it seems weird that when i opened the zip and played around with it; not a half second later this pops up! nvm, just a question.

nice

nice

brutus has been around for a long time... and hardly works anymore! unless your scanning your own boxes for common passwords this tool is pretty worthless,thanks for the trip down memory lane though lol

Hey ArPaNET,

This thread is 2002 vintage, so it was more relevant then? Right now it is of interest to students only, I would have thought?

It was one of, if not the, greatest brute forcer of back then?...................... next thing someone will mention SubSeven............. and the tears of nostalgia will really flow