Thread: Job Interviews and Security Blankets

Ninja Code Monkey

Job Interviews and Security Blankets

I was reading that it can be a good thing to bring a familiar item with you to job interviews. Something that you can focus on and use to calm yourself (basically like the security blanket or teddy bear that kids carry).

I myself bring my laptop. Not only because it is something familiar but because it has the development environments I use (which has come in handy at least once when an interviewer wanted to quiz me on code and found that his machine did not have the ide in question) as well as code that I've written.

I hear that some people bring their favorite pen, or a notebook, etc.

Do you any of you guys have an item that you bring to all of your interviews and if so what?
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

A book fo some sort. Umberto Eco's writings tend to be a favorite. Pair that up with a good sketch book, and the time just flies right by.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

I personally bring nothing, remember the interview process works both ways. I am asked questions and I in turn ask questions about the title, job function, what they are looking for if it is a new position and if you are filling someone that left spot why did they leave? How will be youir boss and ask your own questions about what they may or may not know about what your job may actually be about. If it is an IT position and your boss has no idea how it all works then chances are your efforts will be rated on the person that has the least amount of computer knowlede and blams everything on the network and not their inability to use a computer.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Ninja Code Monkey
    Originally posted here by Palemoon
    I personally bring nothing, remember the interview process works both ways. I am asked questions and I in turn ask questions about the title, job function, what they are looking for if it is a new position and if you are filling someone that left spot why did they leave? How will be youir boss and ask your own questions about what they may or may not know about what your job may actually be about. If it is an IT position and your boss has no idea how it all works then chances are your efforts will be rated on the person that has the least amount of computer knowlede and blams everything on the network and not their inability to use a computer.
    Ahhh...but depending on what you bring you may be seen as someone who does the work to be prepared. The notebook you carry may be used to take notes or to keep a list of questions you want to ask your potential employer.

In my case (the laptop) it not only shows the potential employer that I am prepared, but I can handle any situations that may come up such as being asked to code or test software on the spot, show examples of code and documentation, etc.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

I consider a pen and pad nothing, laptop nope nothing does not mean anything Humm
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I take my PDA, it looks good because I come prepared but mostly it is something familiar to take along and have in your hands.
    dAggressor

It\'s a long life, until you die

Like Juridian I take my laptop.

It's my toy, and I feel that it reinforces my CV which states that im an IT professional (or at least that I have a laptop).

it also allows me to watch DVDs on the train on the way.

I also always wear my favorite suit, I feel that I look good in it, therefore I feel good, and thus am relaxed.

Another question tho ... why do I always get offered the jobs i've decided that I don't want / care about???

Kwiep
    I never thought of bringing something for any reason. That's a very nice idea
    Double Dutch

Banned
    It is indeed a very good idea. I will have to try this next time i have an interview.