Thread: Cleaning Up!

Banned

Cleaning Up!

I previously posted a message stating that we should lend a hand in deleting post that are no longer of use. i.e. outdated news stories, old humor posts, and older discussions that are no longer used or viewed. After posting this I tried to do my part, and found out you can't delete old posts, so my new suggestion would be to allow the deletion of post that are out dated, and of no use anymore. Any suggestions or backing on this subject?

good idea, the forums are starting to get clogged (of course, i've done my fair share of clogging :/)

Isn't the large amount of posts the reason JP keeps getting more space? if so, then I think he's trying to save a lot of it.

Then again, if we delete the old ones, we get more room for stuff like (hopes, JP you listening?) shells acounts (smacks self, yeah right)

Good idea, but some of the old stuff could be useful
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Banned
    You are right Kezil...

I'm only suggesting the deletion of things that may not be needed, and I think it should be up to the thread starter to decide. Unless this duty is neglected, and then then the webmaster has all the rights to disgard anything he finds worthless of being archived.

Any user can already delete their own threads, some of them may in fact may be old but it is also very useful to have them about like I've found a post that answered a question that may have just come to me. Old news to one person may in fact be new news to another and every member can at any time remove their own threads. If all users could delte any thread then something you may discard may hold value to someone else.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned

Re: Cleaning Up!

Originally posted here by Fakeboy
    i.e. outdated news stories, old humor posts, and older discussions that are no longer used or viewed.
    I never said anything informative should be deleted, and I never said someone else should be able to delete another's post. I'm just saying we should have the ability to clean up after ourselves. It makes it easier on the webmaster.

Again research here is important who can say what is no longer viewed or used? Why so defensive? Archives have a good purpose imagin a newspaper that you can only go back to last weeks news, or even humor I like old jokes? Like I said anyone can clean up after themselves do they always I cannot say. JP has a database and as such is very skilled at keeping tings working right, how much he keeps and for what reason it is up to him otherwise there would be a drop dead function after such and such date and time this is removed. If there is not then it is his choice. I will say that far to much has been removed from history or cast aside and destroyed because at the time it was considered garbage.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

When Google archived all the usenet posts from last ten-twenty years, do you think that was a stupid thing to do because it's outdated? You can only find some stupid things like Linus Torvalds's first message about a neat little OS he was developing and such. Actually, hey, why don't we raid the nearest library, go to the Newspapers-section and burn all the papers before year 2000. That is soooo old info already.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Banned
    Greetings:

I'm a digital pack rat by trade. Once it enters my den, it isn't going anywhere, hehe. I have stuff backed up from 1993 when I first started this mess.......

Thanks for the suggestion though!