Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Think I'm Infected!!!!!

I Think I'm Infected!!!!!

I think I am infected with the VBS.LoveLetter virus! Just yesterday my McAfee found a strange virus on my computer that had VBS in it and I deleted it. I have read about VBS.LoveLetter before and I know it tries to download a password stealing trojan program from a website. Just now, my McAfee notified me that a virus was found by something close to the name KZOP or something and it told me this is a known TROJAN file. I did not download anything yet today so I didn't download the infected file. My McAfee did not find anything else. I have ran a program by the name of FixLove that I found on the Norton Virus Encyclopedia but it did not find any traces of LoveLetter. Does anyone know the name of the password stealing trojan file that is downloaded by VBS.LoveLetter? The one that I found looked something like this KZOP. Also, Is there a file that is created by LoveLetter (all variants) if so, what is the name? Any help is needed. Thanks in advance!

Why not try Norton's online scan HERE and see if it pop's up anything.

Cheers:
    DjM

I don't know about KZOP, but KLEZ (and all variants of it) has been making the rounds lately. KLEZ renames .exe files and nothing runs right. Despite NAI and Norton's "fixes," my experience has been to wax the hard drive and rebuild from scratch, taking care to ensure the virus .DAT files are up to date.

Banned
    Hey Ryan,

Check this link to McAfee's virus info list...

It'll list all the "loveletter" viruses and check them to see if you find what you are looking for. (It's a big list....)

Once you find what file you've been infected by, follow the steps they suggest to fix the problem.

Here's the info on the "generic" loveletter (there are variations to it, that's why I say generic) Loveletter

Here's the removal info.... Removal

Wiping hard drive seems drastic to me. Loveletter and Klez are both cleanable. Try all the popular virus web sites. Search for Klez or Loveletter and it'll tell you which registry keys to clean. I think it's something like h_key local machine/microsoft/windows/current version/runonce, but im not totally sure on that one.

Hi mom!
    Make sure you have the latest virus definitions for your virus-scanner. Disconnect your computer from any network (physically: pull out any modem or network cable from your computer) and start a complete scan (not just executables!) of your computer.

If you find a virus or trojan, write down it's exact name and location.

Using another computer (yours aught to be disconnected), visit your virus-scanners vendor, and search their online virus-encyclopedia for the virus. Read everything carefully, so that you learn everything there is to know about the virus (this might give you clues as where you got it, where it is, how to prevent damage). Finally, follow the removal instructions provided on the site.

Then, repeat everything, until you stop finding virusses. Make sure you keep regularly scanning your complete harddrive - the first week, I would suggest doing so daily.

Remember, don't panic. Just take your time - as long as you don't use your computer (except for scanning and removing of course) the virus probably won't do any (more) damage. Be calm, be thorough.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Hi mom!
    Additionally, I just wrote a (somewhat more extensive) tutorial. You can find it at http://www.antionline.com/showthread...&postid=548354

(Hey? Isn't this supposed to join the post above? hmm... )
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Banned
    God damn Ryan, You have mroe viruses than a Ethiopean Crackwhore, be more careful online

The cleaner at moosoft.com/ is a very good trojan cleaner.Might try that

Is Klez a trojan file? McAfee related to it as "a known trojan file". I may not be infected with VBS.LoveLetter but thanks for the help anyways.