Thread: NAV updates

NAV updates

Am i right in thinking that you have to pay for NAV 2002 definition updates?
    If so, do you still have to pay even if you get the updates off demo CD's?

grr, i never had to pay for updates on my Mac...

The Iceman Cometh
    You only have to "resubscribe" to the NAV LiveUpdate service after one year of definitions. If you don't want to pay after that year, I suggest you find a free AntiVirus scanner which has free updates. If you search through the archives, there have been many mentioned. I just upgrade to the newest version of NAV each year, so that I don't have to pay extra for new definitions, because with each upgrade you get another year of LiveUpdate service. Hope that helps.

AJ

Yes, you do have to pay for the subscription to the LiveUpdate, but if you manually search and install the dat files. You can technically update your DAT files without charge, and I correct?

Symantec Updates

Here is a link to the Symantec Update section:

Update stuff

I believe that before an Intelligent Updater download can be installed , either you must be entitled to free updates ( 1 year) or a valid subscription must be in place.

Old Fart
    No getting around it with Nortons. however, you might want to take a look at www.grisoft.com and their totally free AVG anti-virus product. Free updates, hueristic scanning, a plugin for OE....a full featured product without a doubt. I have used both Nortons and Macafees products in the past, but have been most satisfied with AVG. It has been my AV of choice for 3+ years now, and I'm yet to find anything better. For more feedback, check out an earlier thread of mine... http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231734 ...I hope this helps.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Any version of NAV i've see has had a year free of updates when you install it, so the easy way around having to pay for definition updates would to be just reinstall every year, of course making sure you get rid of all files and reg entries. But since Norton also comes out with a new version every year, I would just get the new version with the updates included each year, since it's rather close to the same price.

OK I might be wrong here but we are talking about the LIve Update feature of NAV. Symantec allows you do DL any and all update to your AntiVirus software for free from their website. http://www.sarc.com but the Live Up-date feature only works on the subscription basis for a year with the "consumer" products. But you can still update the defs.... I have one version where Live Update is broken (just havent fixed it) and I just DL the def and let the intelligent updater update the def on the system...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

AntiOnline Newbie
    I don't think we are talking big bucks here anyway, are we? When I subscribed for another year of updates with my NAV 2000, I paid a whole three dollars. I have since purchased Norton System Works, so got NAV 2001 on that and the year's updates to virus definitions haven't yet expired. So I really don't know what the cost is with the 2002, but would be surprised if it was enough to get too steamed up about.

NAV updates cost $US9.95 after the "free" period runs out. You can get signature updates without paying but you won't be able to get software updates without a new subscription.