Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web page detering

Question Web page detering

I have an anoying sister who keeps going to a stupid site and playing games to take up my time. I was wondering...Is there a way to make a different page show up when she types in the URL of the game page? Thnx in advance.

ptj13

you can change the security setting to ban the site, but i suggest you get a new computer instead...

Alt.F4

if she goes to the same site all the time you could add it to your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 somedumbsite.com

this will make it look like the site is no longer there, all that will come up is "404 page not found"
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

thnx

thnx

Where is the host file in windows ME?

thnx. Where is the host file in ME?

sorry for the repitition!

start -> find/search -> name=hosts in=c:\

edit the one labeled hosts without any extensions on it.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

When I did that and went to thedumbsite.com it still went to it. When I origionaly oppened hosts there wasn't anything there. Is that the wrong file?

Correct file. You need to add the entry in as tedob1 has stated. To elaborate on it, put in the IP address of a known site that you are okay with. ie yahoo's ip and then the url that your sister has to use to get the game or whatever you want to prevent her from reaching.
    so your context would be as follows:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1                   pogo.com
    (loop back ip)           (gaming site)
    by default, your computer will look to this file for the IP to resolve the url to first.
    If you point it to your local loop back ip, she won't get a page at all. If you point it to an IP of a known good site, she should get that known good site.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

ok here is what I have in hosts

when I type in www.neopets.com it still goes there. Am I doing something wrong?

what's wrong with neopets?... it teachers you quite a few things... although i do find teh games and things stupid...but... hey, it's all good if your a Neo-Millionare
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

Suggestion:

Might try to find a file in the C:\windows> directory called LMHosts and input the same stuff that you would put into what you put into the Hosts file. See if this works for you.
    \"It is a smart man who can quote others, but it is a wise man who can come up with his own, and it is a wise@** that came up with this one. \" -yours truly