Thread: firewalls and trojans

Question firewalls and trojans

If i already have a trojan virus on my computer and I install a firewall, would the firewall block the attacker using the trojan horse that had already been planted, or would the attacker be able to continue to use the trojan? Also, could somebody tell me what firewall hardware is? Thanks in advance for any help.

If the firewall has an outbound protection and application control (outpost, zonealarm etc...) then it should be able able to detect the connections being attempted by the trojan. Although you may get protection from the trojan, you still need to get rid of it because some viruses come in nasty packs that can render a system helpless, which might force you to reformat. You will be in control if the trojan "phones-home" and your firewall picks it up, but the attacker may find other exploits since you are the victim.

Hardware firewalls are much tougher than software firewalls because it is more flexible anbd has more security features that are more robust than software firewalls. What they are? They are basically a security appliance used to filter packets connecting to a network or workstation. Same idea as a software firewall. A more specific question would help gradually.

Re: firewalls and trojans

The soft-ware firewall is the second line of defense but you still need to clean your system[and repair damage done...over-writing some files?]

For hard-ware firewall you might use a router with nat.

More info http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231442
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

first thing 1st>
    get ride of the Trojan virus in your system, if you don't know how there are lots of written tutorial on trojan removal in the Tutorail furom, so u can check that out.
    2ndly,if that's done then your firewall should be able to block the attacker

and, lastly, you may wish to reload your firewall again/

Bingo

may i suggest you also get a trojan scanner, hopefully it should spare you the hassle of farting bout reformatting or manually removing the trojan.

try tauscan-

http://www.outpostfirewall.com/products/tauscan/

or the cleaner-

http://www.moosoft.com/

if you've had a trojan operating on your computer for a while, you no longer own your computer, other people do. the best thing to do is start over by reformatting and starting installation from scratch. once a trojan is installed its common to install secondary back-doors or automated retrival of info systems.

before you do anything, whay makes you say you have a trojan?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

If I were you I would install a good firewall. The firewall will detect the trojan attack and block the trojan attacker's IP. Once you have installed the firewall, scan your computer for viruses and delete the trojan file. If you do not have virus scanning software installed on your system, go here http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_pcc.asp and run the free online virus scanner. Remember to delete any infected files that are detected. If you do not have an infected trojan server file (file infected with a trojan virus) on your system then it is impossible for the trojan attacker to use the trojan program to hack into your computer. It would be a good idea to scan for viruses first to see if you are even infected with a trojan server file. Hope this helps!

Firewall Hardware is just a piece of computer hardware (looks similar to a modem or router) that blocks internet traffic from unknown IP addresses. Hardware firewalls are usually better then Software firewalls because they block ANY traffic from unknown IPs. Software firewalls usually must be updated and sometimes can miss internet traffic and be fooled by trojan programs. If you have a good Software firewall, it is good enough to protect you from internet threats though. For even higher protection (which is really not need unless you have VERY personal stuff on your computer) than invest in a Harware firewall.

Re: Re: firewalls and trojans

Originally posted here by kadeng
    The soft-ware firewall is the second line of defense but you still need to clean your system[and repair damage done...over-writing some files?]

For hard-ware firewall you might use a router with nat.

More info http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=231442
    Just wanted to reply to this to mention although this is a good technique it is not a firewall.. routers can do packet filtering but a router by nature is not a firewall.... typically a firewall operate at a higher layer of the tcp/ip protocol stack. Firewall can block traffic based upon IP address but in general they typically block based upon tcp/udp port number to allow specific traffic denying all others.. Just for clarity sake I am sure this is what he ment...

OK a harder firewall is a computer that looks at traffic that is passed accross two interfaces. It examines the traffic according to rule you build that will allow/deny the traffic from entering the other interface. Typically one interface lives publically the other privately. The firewall examines the traffic passing between the two ports and makes a decision based upon your rules...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

if u have a trojan on ur system, then besides the firewall, u must also install a good trojan scanner. Anitvirus won't do many times. so get a good one.
    go to wilders.org for more info