Brinkster & ASP file output

Thread: Brinkster & ASP file output

Brinkster & ASP file output

for all the people who use brinkster's General service you may know that editing and creating files from the ASP script... for example:

Code:
    <%
    dim fs,f
    set fs=Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 
    Set f=fs.OpenTextFile(Server.MapPath("text.txt"), 8)
    f.WriteLine("Hello World!")
    f.close
    set f=nothing
    set fs=nothing
    %>
    would not work giving you an error like not able to write or something like that... would there be a way around this so you could make a counter or a login/sign-up script?
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

wow...i'm surprised you can even do this:

set fs=Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

(possible hint)
    -droby10

Yeah, I couldn't imagine brinkster giving anyone FSO access. That's just downright dangerous.

If it ALLOWS you to create an FSO object, but not do the read/write thing, then you need to find out what directories will allow it.

First, try your /cgi-bin/ folder. If your host is FrontPage enabled, you can use /_vti_log/ folder as well.

Originally posted here by droby10
    wow...i'm surprised you can even do this:

set fs=Server.CreateObject(&quot;Scripting.FileSystemObject&quot

(possible hint)
    Uhm... Since when is it possible to prevent ASP to bind to a component?

hellbringer87: Why can't you just use an access mdb-file and log to that or something. Logging to files with asp is slow and buggy anyway.

Cheers,
    Mankan

\"The purpose of abstraction is not to be vague, but to create a new semantic level in which one can be absolutely precise.\"
    - Edsger Dijkstra

Originally posted here by jezter6
    First, try your /cgi-bin/ folder. If your host is FrontPage enabled, you can use /_vti_log/ folder as well.
    brinkster doesn't have a /cgi-bin/ folder... or a /_vti_log/ folder... although it does have a folder or access databases... maybe that would work...

Originally posted here by Mankan

hellbringer87: Why can't you just use an access mdb-file and log to that or something. Logging to files with asp is slow and buggy anyway.
    i'm using ASP because i'm trying to learn it... I was playing around with it and decided to try and make a login gate... and i'm also not very good at using mdb files... but maybe i'll learn that as well

thanks everyone

okay i got it working the /db/ folder allows write access... now to figure how to make a access database without ms access...
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

If you have a DB folder that allows read/write, you should be able to do the text file there as well.

ASP Links:

www.4guysfromrolla.com
    www.aspmessageboard.com
    www.asp101.com
    www.learnasp.com

I visit those on a daily basis.

Making access db's without access is possible. I know there's a VB utility out there that will make one for you...it came on one of the CD's I got with one of my books.

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb...34762&lngWId=1
    http://www.freevbcode.com/ShowCode.Asp?ID=552

2 links for VB source on how to do it...of course this is assuming you have VB.

Good luck.