Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm vs Norton Internet Security

Zone Alarm vs Norton Internet Security

Can anyone give me some insight as to which is better, Zone Alarm or Norton internet Security. I have been running Zone alarm for some time now. I just came across a copy of Norton, and was curious. Does anyone have any reasons why I shouldn't switch?
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

ZA is ok but if you've never used any other firewalls you might be missing out. I had to try a few different fire walls before I found one I liked.

My top two picks

Sygate
    http://soho.sygate.com/products/pspf_ov.htm
    Free trial is only 30 days but you can, how should I put this, crack it if you feel you need longer to evaluate the product say 1-2 years.

Tiny
    http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?la=EN
    Powerful firewall doesn’t hog up to much of your cpu time
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Zonealarm is nice, but it really eats up CPU and RAM memory. I would recomend Tiny personal firewall -- that's what I use.
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

i like zone alarm but i only use it when im doing something that makes it easy to get my ip, otherwise i only use tiny software's personal one
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

i am currently using a symantec firewall device (the 100 model seems to work good, especially since it was a freebie, thanks to my vendor). the firewall device, is about $350, pretty pricey for home use. i have tried the norton's product also and it seemed to work good and not as resource intensive as za. i have also used Tiny Personal Firewall and that would be your best bet all around. it's not to bad on resources and is a pretty flexible firewall. i use it for my clients.

hope this helps
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

Kerio's my personal favorite

alternatives

Outpost Firewall, http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/ , is rather nice and you dont have to worry about intellectual copywrite infringement.
    Network
    Emergency
    Repair
    Dude

Had used Norton for years until the 2000 version (combo AV and Firewall) which crashed my OS twice in a row on it's first "Live Update". Could get no info from Norton after several tries, so boxed it up and it sits on the shelf with a lot of other old stuff. i changed to Panda AV and ZAPro, been happy with both of them 'cause Panda updates itself every day without interferance, and ZAPro does a decent job after you get used to it. Was going to try Tiny someday when i got the time, since a lot of our AO folks speak highly about it.

Wink Kerio Rules!!

Kerio uses less resources and is very unintrusive!!

Lightbulb

I was a bit unhappy with ZoneAlarm. It was always resetting rules I had applied. Have been using Norton FireWall on 2 systems and it has caught backdoor trojans on downloaded shareware. I also use a program called attacker. I am happy with that. You need to add additional ports that common viruses and trojans use but it works. I see alot of referance to tiny firewall and will have to try it out.