A small gripe about the IRC
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A small gripe about the IRC

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Thumbs down A small gripe about the IRC

Ok, so I'm in the AO IRC channel and various subjects are being tossed here and there...

Someone's not getting the concept of C programming so I'm helping them out (well, at least I'm banging away on the keyboard to break down the program) and someone says 'can we stop this C class now or take it to somewhere else?'.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but seeing as I'm not much of an IRC person anyways, this doesn't do anything to make me want to sit around in a channel where I've seen all kinds of other subjects from DNA/gene splicing to the very-detailed sex talks to politics/death row/etc...I thought this was a security/computer-related IRC channel linked to a computer-related/security website? Maybe I'm wrong...

*shakes head* Hopefully something can be done about this...I'm not too aware of the ops and their schedules but I heard there's a meeting somewhere on this stuff.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Kwiep
    You're right, but I think 'all kinds of other subjects from DNA/gene splicing to the very-detailed sex talks to politics/death row/etc' can be very interresting to.
    Double Dutch

Okay, so I've never been to the AO IRC channel. That being said, as a frequenter of other IRC networks, I think the problem was not your choice of subject matter per se, but the fact that programming help requires a lot of long pastes to the channel and a two-person dialogue that excludes pretty much everybody automatically. Certain things just need to be moved to private messages.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    I agree with that Fryth, but we're talking four lines of code, hence four lines of text, each one with a definition of what that line meant in () right after the code. Others have put THOUSANDS more words into that channel not even relating to anything computer-oriented. That and the topic for this 'Hello world' wasn't just limited to me, but others were in it too. I just happened to be the one doing the explaining.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

That DNA/gene splicing thing got out of hand
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

TechieChick
    I think a lot of topics can get out of hand but it just seems to me that we should kind of sorta stay on topic, that being computers and network security.
    There are plenty of other channels out there on many different servers catering to a whole bunch of needs..if someone wants to go off topic, there is a place for it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating cleaning out the channel just staying somewhat near topic.

i agree 100% vorlin - i almost hated going to AO IRC for a long period of time because usually u do get treated like a idiot there no matter what.... If u werent one of their regulars they talked down to u a lot and made u feel like u didnt belong. There were many times where i stoped going and then came back and i still dont feel very confy there and i get kicked and banned for doing a lot of things that a lot of their friends do and dont get kicked and banned for... I think its run pretty bad and really needs some fresh new ops or rules and regulations for the ops to follow to make it run a little more user friendly....

My peace,
    NetSyN
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..

Banned

Lightbulb

I'd like to suggest firing Quad aka AntiHero aka socia.

Anyone care to attach the log of why?

Fire Quad and I'm outta there...just my .02.

I think the problem was not your choice of subject matter per se, but the fact that programming help requires a lot of long pastes to the channel and a two-person dialogue that excludes pretty much everybody automatically. Certain things just need to be moved to private messages.
    Considering it IS supposed to be a computer/security/programming channel...I'd say if you're talking about something else, and it gets interrupted by someone who is talking about computers...maybe the OTHER convo should go private, not the computer one.

I'm not advocating that IRC be only computers....You guys all know I go in there mostly to BS with others...but it is supposed to be a computer channel, and personally when people start talking about things like that, I try to be quiet and not interrupt most of the time.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

i agree with what deb said..

I dont personally like Quad... At all... But i know he is a asset to the irc channel and without him there probly would be no irc channel to be run... or a lot less users there.

Quad has given me problems on IRC in the past but its sumthing ive just learned to ignore and put myself above. I just think there should be a lines the ircops and ops cannot cross to inssure fairness on the server and more user friendly enviroment... It isnt THEIR channel its the AO community's channel in my opinion... They may run it but without us all they are running is a empty ircD with no purpose.
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..