Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ip traceing

ip traceing

lets say that your isp uses dhcp but if you staticly assigned a ip to yourself that was in the same subnet you could steal the internet connection of that pc - would that be traceable

Just curious, how you would you go about assigning yourself an IP on someone elses network? Sounds like something worth looking into...

you would just manualy assign a ip that in the same subnet in your network configuration

How can you assign a static IP of a subnet without their permission?

its a flaw in the isp - normaly DHCP would override static settings - BUT what if the isp had a flaw where Static had priority

Correction: DHCP is NOT supposed to override static settings. You see, this is just client configuration. If the dhcp client isn't enabled (and it isn't if you have set a static IP), there is just no way/reason why you should be assigned a dynamic IP... DHCP is not even a "push" or "broadcast" protocol: if a dhcp client is active on the client host, it will ASK for an IP; if no dhcp client is active, it just wont ask for an IP.

If you assign yourself a static IP, if the address is not in use, you should probably be ok, unless your ISP, does some filtering on addresses not leased by the dhcp server..

If you assign yourself an IP already in use, it will result in address collision. However I'd have to check out how the protocol (arp)...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

my isp uses MAC address...so clone the MAC for us and thatll work

in most cases it would be difficult to just statically configure the ip and subnet mask. most isps who allow static ip assignment, authenticate via ldap or some other version of directory services. however, this does not rule out the possibility that their network does not implement some sort of ip protection.

possible, not probable.
    Network
    Emergency
    Repair
    Dude

The isp that I have has a flaw where if you manualy set your tcpip settings to that of another pc within your subnet you could "steal" that persons ip - disabling them from the internet - now if they call the isp; then they would trace the ip back to the MAC and disable that MAC but my question is if they only trace the ip if the person calls the isp would it be traceable if the person doesnt call the isp

The Iceman Cometh
    If what you're saying is true about your ISP, yes they will be able to trace you, though they would have no reason to trace you, unless the person reported that they cannot get online (which, I think, even a neophyte would do). I honestly wouldn't recommend going and hijacking someone else's connection, not only could they ban that MAC address, but they could also bring you up on legal charges. My recommendation is to just use your own connection and be happy with it. What's the use in using someone elses? If you're going to do anything illegal, you'll just be that much worse off if you use someone elses, because that simply adds another item to the list of illegal activities.

AJ