Hey uh...Britmap...

View Poll Results: How do you rate the MS .NET project

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • A+ Its great - better than Thanksgiving!

0 0%
  • B Great idea that needs some minor tuning

0 0%
  • C Gates unusual show of humanity was right on the money

4 57.14%
  • D- It Sucks, Bill Sucks, M$ Sucks!

3 42.86%
  • Redmond Washington is really the 7th layer of hell!!!

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey uh...Britmap...

PHP/PostgreSQL guy

Hey uh...Britmap...

You write a first post on outdated material. Ok, that's alright, even though I negged you for it because it wasn't original, it wasn't new, and it wasn't anything 'interesting' like people said.

You also include in your signature to look at your profile and whatnot, which includes a picture of some random girl in a school-girl outfit. That's fine too but I'm putting 2+2 together already.

Someone states a point on the age of the article you linked to and negs you for it and you neg them back. Nothing wrong with that but you came off as a 'newbie' in your roll-call post (which may have been deleted by now). Newbies don't know about antipoints fully, they don't know neat-o tricks like 'post a flame thread saying how mean everyone is' in Roll Call where no replies are able to be posted, and they definitely don't know/care about the 'most viewed profiles' count (of which, once again, to get more views, has a pic of some random girl in a school-girl outfit).

Moral of this story (even though I think I'm going out on a limb here): who are you, and why are you even here if you're NOT a newbie and you're just trying to get everyone's positive approval. Fake people disgust me and God alone knows I'm not going to stand around idly and let it go on if something can be done about it to any degree.

EDIT: btw, this could have been avoided if you just pm'd or emailed me or the person who negged you instead of leaving in a huff (which I doubt). Your credibility could've been somewhat salvaged.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.
    Share on Google+

Woaw, it's hard but I agree with you Vorlin.
    I viewed "her" profile and it was suspect: too clean, too perfect, too well prepared and organised.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--
    Share on Google+

TechieChick
    Not to mention that the thread was deleted.

I want to get something straight right off the bat, I agree with Vorlin 100% and I'm not randomly picking on you here. I have a real problem with being fed old news by someone who thinks our opinion of her is to be validated by her looks.

You managed to find the delete button on your thread which is fine as well, I had hoped it was becouse you had realized that you had handled this the wrong way but no, upon a refresh I see your goodbye cruel world thread.

*sigh*

Have a good life, it's a rough world out there and in a text based medium, opinions are generated by the words on the page.

TC
    Share on Google+

Vorlin,

I'm new to the site, and would like to introduce myself through replying to the posts, but to be honest. I'm not advanced enough to answer most of the questions out now. In this case how do you get your feet wet? Also, is it frowned upon to reply to really old threads. There is stuff archived asking about peoples first computers, and things of that sort. Can I reply to those, or are they considered dead threads? if so (how old would it be before a post is considered a dead thread). Some information for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

(also, can someone tell me how to delete a post? I made a post about a news story, and I don't want to make the same mistake.)
    Share on Google+

/me shakes her head in bewilderment....musta missed something.

But seriously, how very pathetic does your life have to be to get online and lie about who you are to make yourself feel better? There are several members here who I feel this is true about (and no, I'm not naming names, but you know who you are.)
    The basis of dealing with people on the internet is having to trust them to some extent, and when you lie about something as simple as your gender or age, it's very hard to take anything you say seriously.

And Joey, yes, try to avoid posting to a thread that is very very old unless you have something you feel is VERY important to add. And to delete a post you just go into Edit, and hit delete. If it is the first post in a thread, it will delete the entire thread, otherwise it deletes just your single post.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Share on Google+

Thank You Deb,

I made my first post about the "More EBook Hacking Tricks From Embattled Elcomsoft" to get my feet in the water, and after reading this thread it looks like people want you to wait, and only post about things if you are absolutely positive you know what you are talking about, and your post is on the topic of the tread only. I have read a couple threads that look like chit chat, is it okay to conversate in thos threads? Also, How do I get to the IRC channel?

FYI... I deleted my post on"More EBook Hacking Tricks From Embattled Elcomsoft", because I'm sure all of you have seen it. If not, you can find it on securityfocus.com.
    Share on Google+

But seriously, how very pathetic does your life have to be to get online and lie about who you are to make yourself feel better? There are several members here who I feel this is true about (and no, I'm not naming names, but you know who you are.)
    The basis of dealing with people on the internet is having to trust them to some extent, and when you lie about something as simple as your gender or age, it's very hard to take anything you say seriously.
    I agree with you 100% based on the context of what you said, but I can also understand why some might not say everything there is to know about themselves. However, there is a difference between outright lying and trying to get ego strokes from it, and with-holding information for the sake of anonymity...

But c'mon Britmap, if you did this to get attention, you did, but in a negative way. Perhaps you will think twice next time, not because we are "mean," but because (at least) I learned many do not like BS here (except for the occasional spoof or joke ), and worst of all, telling the world you are leaving because others negged you... you can't have it all your way

>sigh<
    Share on Google+

and after reading this thread it looks like people want you to wait, and only post about things if you are absolutely positive you know what you are talking about, and your post is on the topic of the tread only.
    It depends on what the thread is. If it is someone who is asking for help, and you think you might know a way to help them, go ahead and post it. Just be sure to tell them you aren't really sure, but that you think this might work...blah blah.

And as for the general chit chat, that's exactly what it is, general, but do try to stay on topic with the thread.

And as for the IRC channel, you can either click on the top of the main page, where it says "to talk with other computer enthusiasts" or something like that, or if you have an IRC client, just direct it to antionline.com.

And you may want to read:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=220467
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=220666

And check in the tutorials forum and use the search engine on the main page, and any questions you have should be answered there.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
    Share on Google+

Deb,

The FAQ is what I needed, personally I don't want to post it in site suggestions, because I'm sure it is appointed to you somewhere as a newbie, but I think the FAQ should be e-mailed to everyone who registers, and then have a box to check stating that the user has viewed it or is atleast aware of its location. I really think that thread is a great source for newbies to obtain information. Thank you so much. I appreciate it....
    Share on Google+

TechieChick
    Joey, too bad you deleted that, it was a good thread. I was going to jump in and post to that effect when my husband and kids came in clamoring for dinner.
    What can I say? I had to make a decision!

You're starting our right and I agree, the FAQ should be emailed to everyone or at least a link to it in the email that we recieve from JP upon signing up.
    Share on Google+