Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad blocking?

Ad blocking?

Is there a freeware program that stops almost all internet ads and banners from popping up? I think I have heard about something like this on one of AO's forums and I would like to know where to find a program like this. Thanks in advance.

The Personal Firewall that I use (AtGuard) has a Ad Filter in it and it works a treat, but AtGuard is a little hard to get a hold of lately (for free, that is).

Have a look around for some Personal Firewalls, as I would pretty much bet that AtGuard is not the only one with this feature.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Old Fart
    ZoneAlarm, www.zonelabs.com , also has an ad-blocking feature, but it doesn't seem to be very effective in my experience. Disabling JAVA in IE will do the trick, but then your browsing is compromised visually at times. I've been browsing with Mozilla, free from www.mozilla.org , which does not support pop-ups/pop-unders at all and have been quite happy with it. You could also visit www.download.com and do a search for 'pop up' or 'pop-up killer' to find an app that fits the bill. Happy hunting!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

http://www.spamblocked.com/proxomitron/
    this program requires a bit of work to setup but it works rather well.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

i think the one most talked about is proxomitron.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

You might try SpyBlocker. It's a shareware program you can get for $20.00 US. It will block
    ads and web bugs, and spyware. Search for it in Google.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I'm not totaly sure, but I remember reading somewhere (i think it was Slashdot.org) there was a way to block ads from appearing by adding a portion of the address of the banner link to your hosts file with the loopback address (127.0.0.1), that this would block the image from loading. (???)

Anyone want to confirm?
    \"It is a smart man who can quote others, but it is a wise man who can come up with his own, and it is a wise@** that came up with this one. \" -yours truly

I am using Opera browser ( www.opera.com ), and it has pop up blocker which works great.
    To configure : File | Preferences | windows | and set "refuse pop up windows" in " pop up windows" option.

Originally posted here by RavenLrD20k
    I'm not totaly sure, but I remember reading somewhere (i think it was Slashdot.org) there was a way to block ads from appearing by adding a portion of the address of the banner link to your hosts file with the loopback address (127.0.0.1), that this would block the image from loading. (???)

Anyone want to confirm?

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html

I did a quick forum search and came up with a link to this site with a downloadable hosts file to filter ad sites. I haven't tried it yet, but I will when I get back to my personal PC at home.

i use opera to the ad blocker works well on it get it here www.opera.com and agnitum has an ad filter in it 2 get it here www.agnitum.com the 2 of them work really well i recommend both hope this helps
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/