Hard Drive

Thread: Hard Drive

Developer Extraordinar

Question Hard Drive

Hello, About a year and a helf ago, I bought a new computer from Radio Shack, it was a MICRON Millennia 700 ex ( I think ) And I just bought a new PC upgrape, (Everything but the drives, monitor, etc. And I cannot get the hard-drive out, and I really need to. I know this isn't a security question, and that it is Hardware, but I really need to know the answer. How can I get it out, it's not in a bay or anything?

Thanks
    Come to UnError.com

MicroBurn, if it's a PC, it's quite easy to do. Hey, before I start, I din't know RadioShack still did the computer thing; I bought my first computer (everybody remembers the TANDY, right??) from RadioShack that was a 386 with a 50 meg HDD and 4 megs of memory... anyway...

Here is a link in which might help you out: http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,47370,00.asp

Some things you need to remember:

1) Back everything up. If something goes wrong, you save your data.

2) Know the limitations of your BIOS and OS. Sometimes, if the computer is really old, the really gigantic hard drives will not be recognized. Sometimes, a BIOS upgrade works. If not, try a smaller drive or upgrade your motherboard.

3) Never slave a hard drive (or other slower device) to a CDROM. The tutorial in the link will tell you what master and slave settings are.

4) There is nothing wrong with help. If something goes wrong, or you are confused, ask a friend to help, or take your box to a professional. I prefer friends

Good luck, and if you have any questions, you can email me. I'll help you all I can.

The Iceman Cometh
    What's wrong with getting it out? I'm assuming you've taken the case off, correct? The drive should be screwed in on both sides (either with or without brackets, depending what size the slot where the drive is). Sometimes, it is difficult to unscrew the drive through the right panel (looking at it from the front). In most cases, this can be solved by sliding the metal panel that is connected to the motherboard out through the back (many ATX motherboards have this ability). Otherwise, you'll need an attachment for a screw driver so that you can unscrew the screws at a 90 degree angle and find a way to squeeze back behind the drive to unscrew it.
    Hope that makes sense... I'm kinda tired.

AJ

Developer Extraordinar
    Yes, I know how to take a normal HDD out, but this oue in kind like built in the front it is quite hard to explain, If I take the cover off, it is not in a bay, and I would have to take off the face thing, so another question is how do i take that off on a MICRON PC 700EX computer?

Thanks
    Come to UnError.com

The Iceman Cometh
    Ouch. I have an old Micron Millenia that had the same problem with the hard drive. It was mounted ot the front of the case, vertical, rather than horizontal in a very awkward to reach place. To taking the "face" off (if the cases are still the same) there are some plastic clips which lock into place. You basically have to slide the front panel sideways to unlock the clips and then you can pull it off. In my case, taking off the front panel didn't give me the access I needed to the drive. I ended up removing the entire casing that the hard drive was enclosed in and removed it that way. I removed the casing by taking off both side panels and wedging my screw driver into some tight spaces to remove the screws mounting it to the frame. Good luck. If you can't figure out how to remove it, you can always try calling tech support and say the drive went bad and you have to replace it, but can't figure out how to get it out...

AJ