Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my old version of windows back?Please Help!

This is SolidPez...

Update:I was able to get online with the pc having problems by directly connecting it to the modem and not through the router(which I'll eventually need to do)... I downloaded the latest drivers for my video card, but when I tried to install it, it said the video card wasn't found. Well I know I downloaded the right drivers. I went to device manager and noticed my video card wasn't listed, infact the "display adapters" icon wasn't even there! Is there anyway I can get windows to recognize my video card? I can't install these drivers until it does. Thanks

Old Fart
    I ran into the same problem once myself. Tried everything under the sun. Make sure you remove the display adapter its using (if there is one listed), shut down and remove then reseat your video card. It wouldn't hurt to blow the slot out if you have a can of air handy. I know it sounds stupid, but hey....thats what finally got mine straightened out, so you never know.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

bump, have not resolved problem with windows not detecting video card

The Iceman Cometh
    What sort of video card do you have? And when you go into the Display Properties in Control Panel, what does it register as? It's possible that it's simply showing up as a generic driver. If this is true, then you're going to have to try as allenb suggested, and try reinserting the card. It may simply be loose in the PCI or AGP slot. Then, Windows should redetect it and install the correct drivers. Once it does so, install the newer drivers (which you downloaded) and it should be set. Once that's set up, we can get back to fixing your connection to your router.

AJ

If you Upgraded, then check the Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel... if you speicified the option to rollback in the setup. As for the drivers, try reinstalling them, there have been problems with Drivers after installation. Just install them again and see what happens. DNS error? Right Click My Network Places select properties, Right click coorespending cable connection select properties, click on TCP-IP select properties, and make sure that you have DHCP enabled (automatic assignment)

avdven, it is not registered as anything in the device manager, generic or not just no display adapters there. Also, If I open up my pc and try to remove and put back in my video card, does this void the warranty? Is there any chance this problem could of resulted from upgrading to pro since it seemed to occur after I upgraded?

Btw avdven, thanks for all your help thus far.

Old Fart
    Popping the case off shouldn't void the warranty. One would assume that if this were true, there would be a visible seal that you would have to break in order for that to happen. As a rule, most PC manufacturers uderstand that people are going to add periphrials to their computers at some time during the computers lifespan, and they will have to open the case to do so. Example: A good friend of mine was having modem trouble, and called me to have a go at it. After ascertaining that he had a hardware problem, I called the manufacturer. After having me go thru all the diagnostics and settings to satisfy them that my prognosis was correct, they asked me to remove the modem and send it in to them so they could send a replacement. If opening the case voided the warranty, that would never have happened.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

did you check your event viewer for any errors?

also, what kind of pc and video card do you have?

i had some troubles with XP and certain video cards in a compaq presario w/ an AMD chip in it. some games would play just fine others took a dump??? after downloading all the patches and latest drivers that i could find. i tried the cards in another box w/ and Intel chip and WHAM, no problem.
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

avdven, in display properties it just says not available next to the name and details of my video card, but when I click on properties it shows it has a "vga save" card...

I noticed that there was a device in the device manager labeled unknown by windows. When I look at the properties of this device it says that the drivers for it have been disabled, but when it says below that that the device is enabled. Could this "unkown device" be my display adapter? If so, how could I enable the drivers for it that seem to have been disabled?

I clicked on driver details and it pointed to a single file in the windows dircetory called "stealth.sys"

Some OEM computers such as HP do not ship with a restore disk, instead they come with a backup copy of the OS in a seperate partition on your computer. This is accesed by pressing a Function key at startup (not sure which one.)

When I bought my HP 540n, it came with Windows XP Home; the first thing I did was format my harddrive and made new partitions. I then installed the OSs of my choice (Gentoo Linux & Win XP Pro.) The reason I did this was because the installation of XP home it came with, seemed to be very buggy. This was probally due to all of the tweaks and patches HP makes. I also didn't like the fact that it didn't come with an original copy of Windows XP Home.

So basically, I would suggest you forget about trying to get back the copy of XP Home and worry about trying to get your installation of XP Pro working. You may want to consider reinstalling XP Pro after formatting your hard-drive, ridding any existance of the original OEMs install. Also, you may want to delete the restore partition, it's just taking up usable drive space.

--Sudo