Thread: antivirus without software-updates

antivirus without software-updates

How long will antivirus work well with only def.updates?

I m using Norton av.2001 fully updated and almost 1 year.

Wonder how long it takes to be crap without updating de antivirus software ?

Like to hear it cos lot s of people tend to work much longer with it using only def.updates!
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Not really long i think.Got one guy here who got infected with def that was 2 days old!

Originally posted here by DeadCr0w
    Not really long i think.Got one guy here who got infected with def 2 days old!
    I m not talking about the def. but the scanner it self not updated.

The def-updates still fully updated!
    cheers and good bye

The Iceman Cometh
    Honestly, I don't think you'll be too bad off without updating the engine for NAV. There may be some viruses or trojans which get through, however, because the engine does not have the required capabilities to test them against the definitions. After a year, however, you can no longer update your definitions without paying to extend your LiveUpdate service, and for the cost, I would recommend just upgrading to a newer version of AntiVirus. That'll give you the most recent scanner as well as give you another year of definitions.

AJ

Originally posted here by avdven
    Honestly, I don't think you'll be too bad off without updating the engine for NAV. There may be some viruses or trojans which get through, however, because the engine does not have the required capabilities to test them against the definitions. After a year, however, you can no longer update your definitions without paying to extend your LiveUpdate service, and for the cost, I would recommend just upgrading to a newer version of AntiVirus. That'll give you the most recent scanner as well as give you another year of definitions.

AJ
    The engine updates don t come often so why buy........?

Maybe post a warning when a new engine-update comes[so then it would be wise to buy a newer version..not sooner...]
    cheers and good bye

The Iceman Cometh
    I recommend buying the new version because they will stop releasing engine updates for an older version once a new one is out. New versions have extended capabilities which further protect you. For instance, NAV 2003 adds support for automatically scanning files sent via various IM clients, as well as an updated engine, which will not be released for 2001/2002. I use NAV 2002 on a standalone machine (the rest are set up with a volume license of NAV CE, which are automatically updated via my server), and have been upgrading it each year, and have been extremely satisfied with each upgrade.

AJ

avdven thx for the info
    cheers and good bye