Thread: Help me, Partition question

Help me, Partition question

It's been along time since I have done this, but I went ahead and put in 80 gb in my linux system and took out the two other hard drives and built a small computer for a friend. I am installing win98 on this, but it wont let in install the win 98 stating storage space. what do I do, can you direct me. THis is driving me crazy...

FDISK your system.

This may be a good reference for you:
    Instructions to give any Windows system a clean install.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...skformatr.html

I did that. unless I am partitioning it wrong..?

The Iceman Cometh
    You need to format the disks for FAT32. First, insert a boot disk and run fdisk and delete the partitions on the drives and create new ones. After that, reboot and boot to DOS again with your boot disk, ensuring that you boot with CD-ROM support. Format the drives (format.com can be found in the Win98 directory of the CD if you don't have it on the boot floppy) NOTE: Make sure, for the C drive that you do format C: /s (if you forget the /s the drive will be unbootable because it will be missing the boot files). Then simply install Windows 98 either from the CD or copy the cabs to the hard drive and install from there. Hope that helps.

AJ

make sure the partition is active.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

joey's right...if a little unhelpful

boot from a dos floppy
    run fdisk
    delete extended and primary partitions (will destory all data on all partitions)
    create primary (and extended paritions if you want or need to)
    set primary active
    exit fdisk
    format
    install OS
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Thanks guys, memory goes bad when you get in your late twenties...

tthanks it works

i had it working, but I having trouble putting it in fat 32....Do i need to start over.? so instead of 10 gb, i have 26 megs left of hard drive space.....I know some 15 year will tell me........help

The Iceman Cometh
    When you run Fdisk, it should ask you whether you want to support large drives. You have to say yes. If you don't get this prompt, it's possible that your BIOS does not support drives larger than a specific size (I don't remember what the cap was on old computers). What you'll have to do is find a program from the hard drive manufacturer which supplements the BIOS (for instance, Western Digital has EZ-BIOS). Once you've installed that, it will automatically partition and format your drives to whatever size(s) you want. Hope that helps you out.

AJ

Thanks guys, The problem I had, was my hard drives were partitioned and the dos couldnt recognize that, [plus i had unix on it also, so i had to install linux on the older system, and the take out the partitons....so dos can see it. and I am finally done. thanks for the help guys.

take me back to the old days..please.....